Erika Schickel and myself (along with Times columnist Al Martinez) were the guests on KABC 790 AM's show "Spotlight on the Community" this morning talking with hosts Nelkane Benton and Bob Anderson about being authors at the L.A. Times Festival of Books. It's one of the biggest public gatherings in the city each April, it's free, and it's all about books and reading (and seeing friends.) These LA Observed contributors have formal roles this year and hope to see some of you at UCLA April 28-29:
- Panel on "New Media: Blogging & Beyond." RJ Smith moderator, co-panelists Hugh Hewitt and Jill Leovy. Saturday 10:30 am in the Fowler Museum.
- Signing Wilshire Boulevard: Grand Concourse of Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley: America's Suburb at the Angel City Press booth, Noon to 2 pm Saturday and 1 pm to 3 pm Sunday.
- Moderating a panel called "Fiction: Writing Across Genres," with Francesca Lia Block, S.E. Hinton, Cynthia Kadohata and Demetria Martinez. Saturday 11:30 am in Moore 100.
- Panel on "Southern California's Mean Streets" Tod Goldberg moderator, with co-panelists Will Beall and T. Jefferson Parker.
- Panel on "Land and Sea: The Health of the Planet." Sue Horton moderator, with co-panelists Bill McKibben, Randy Olson and Rebecca Solnit. Sunday noon in Haines 39.
- Panel on "The New Adulthood: Why Should Kids Have All the Fun?" Sunday 11:30 am, Moore 100. Robin Abcarian moderator, co-panelists Christopher Noxon and Brett Paesel.
- Signing "You're Not the Boss of Me: Adventures of a Modern Mom" at the Pen USA booth, Sunday 11:30 am.
- Signing My California: Journeys by Great Writers at the Angel City Press booth Saturday 1-2 pm and Sunday 12-1pm.
Full programs online here. (* Added Veronique.)
Noted: Erika's 1997 play "Wild Amerika" re-aired last night on LA Theatre Works' series "The Play's the Thing" on KPCC. Directed by JoBeth Williams, it stars Schickel, Paul Mercier and Shannon Cochran.