Flames jumped the ridge onto the city side of Griffith Park just before sunset and are threatening homes in the neighborhood north of Los Feliz Boulevard. Power is out and evacuation has been ordered; the evac center is at Marshall High. Dante's
Garden View in the park has been destroyed, according to Councilman Tom LaBonge. Firefighters are making a stand at the homes below the Greek Theater. There are clearer images online, but I thought the screen grab showing flames behind Griffith Observatory should be posted.
- Evacuation area at 10 pm is east of Vermont Avenue, north of Cromwell Avenue, west of Dundee Place, LAFD's Ron Meyer says on KCAL-9.
- "This is a dangerous fire" — Mayor Villaraigosa on KCAL 10:08 pm
- Good street work by Sharon Tay on KCAL. Fox-11's 10 o'clock news got off to a slow start. 10:13 pm
- Whew, "Gilmore Girls" fans are really upset that KTLA cut into tonight's episode to cover the fire. 10:18 pm
- Villaraigosa tells Hal Fishman on KTLA that firefighters are drawing water from the Silver Lake reservoir. 10:30 pm
- Earlier reports of arson were unfounded, LAPD chief William Bratton says on Channel 5, adding it was more likely a carelessly discarded cigarette. Bratton says he lives in Los Feliz near the evacuated area. 10:48 pm
- Mayor live at 11 pm: about 600 acres burned, no structures damaged, about 300 residents evacuated and 25 refusing to go. Fire Chief Barry says crews made a "very signicant stop" in the area north of Los Feliz Blvd. and that no homes are in danger now — but that the fire remains out of control.