Some items in the news:
- Sam Zell's offer to perhaps overpay at $34 a share for the Tribune Company was accepted today by shareholders in Chicago, but at the L.A. Times they're still talking about how many times Zell used the f-word in a talk to managers last week.
- Marilyn Thompson, the LAT's investigations editor in the Washington bureau, jumped over to the New York Times. Memos at Romenesko from her ex-bureau chief, Doyle McManus, and her new bureau chief, Dean Baquet.
- Councilman Bernard Parks formed a committee to let him raise money to run for the county Supervisor seat that Yvonne Brathwaite Burke is expected to leave next year.
- The arrest and deportation to Mexico of immigration activist Elvira Arellano was assailed, defended and noticed by other immigrants. LAT, DN
- Eagle Rock Plaza has become so central to the Filipino community that it is sometimes called the Mall of Manila.
- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is happy with interim Fire Chief Douglas L. Barry and offered him the job.