Enough members of the City Council are attending this morning's services for slain LAPD officer Randal Simmons that the regular Friday session was cancelled. TV stations have agreed on pool coverage outside the Crenshaw Christian Faith Dome church (one KTTV van), inside the church (KTLA), in the air over the motorcade (KCBS copter) and at Holy Cross cemetery (KCBS). Press photographers will also pool and distribute photos from the Radisson Hotel on West Centinela.
A very big crowd of fellow officers, friends and family is expected. Vermont Avenue will be closed between Manchester and Florence from 5 AM to 3 PM, the city says. Slauson Avenue will close between Vermont and the Los Angeles city limit west of Buckler Avenue from 11:45 AM to 3 PM. The DOT advises:
Expect prolonged rolling road closures in the surrounding areas as the funeral procession makes its way to Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City. Please follow the directions of all uniformed officers, LADOT personnel and temporary traffic signs in the area.
- Funeral 11 am — Crenshaw Christian Faith Dome, 7901 S. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles.
- Eulogies — Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Chief William Bratton, Simmons' son Matt, SWAT officer James Hart.
- Interment immediately following — Holy Cross Cemetery, 5835 W. Slauson Ave., Culver City.
- Live TV coverage — 10 am (NBC 4), 11 am (KCBS).
- Coverage of Thursday's viewing — NBC4, Daily News.
Photo: Al Seib / Los Angeles Times