- Sallie Hofmeister is the new business editor at the Los Angeles Times, reporting to the managing editor. LA Biz Observed
- Scary forecast about the financial future of newspapers, also via Mark Lacter. LABO
- Comedian Harvey Korman died today at age 81 while at UCLA Medical Center. He was a star on TV's "Carol Burnett Show" and played Hedley Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles." AP
- Mayor Villaraigosa proposed targeting ammunition and guns in the battle against gangs. LAT
- Judge candidate Bill Johnson has some baldly racist views. Jewish Journal
- So why are Iraq and Afghanistan fading from news coverage? KCRW/To the Point
- It's almost balls out at Silver Lake's Ivanhoe Reservoir. Curbed LA
Also: Still some seats to be had on the June 14 Neon Cruise. To reserve, call the Museum of Neon Art at (310) 489-9918 and mention LA Observed to get the discount. More info.