- Tim Rutten argues that the mayor, police chief and City Council majority are equally to blame for the LAPD's rape kit embarrassment. LAT Op-Ed, plus reaction at Witness LA and a clash between Chick and Councilman Greig Smith in the DN's Sausage Factory.
- Two L.A. County sheriff's deputies were indicted for assaulting a firefighter during an off-duty altercation. They pleaded not guilty. LAT, Breeze wires
- The 14-year-old who killed himself at Acton High was bullied and had a learning disability. LAT, DN
- Bruce Orwall, L.A. bureau chief for the Wall Street Journal, is headed to the London bureau. Deadline Hollywood Daily
- Korean company's big stake in the Grand Avenue project becomes official. DN
- Jewish Journal blogger Brad Greenberg attends his first Yom Kippur services and is surprised to learn "Jews attend High Holy Days services like Dodgers fans frequent Chavez Ravine: arriving in the third inning and leaving in the seventh." The God Blog
- Red flag conditions are in effect in the city of Los Angeles.
- David Lazarus guest hosts today for Patt Morrison on KPCC, 1 pm to 3 pm.
- Marie Dey, also "known as Rosy the Riveter and Jack Pot Mary," died at 107. She worked at Douglas Aircraft in Santa Monica from 1942 to 1962, retired and drew a pension for 46 years. Dey leaves two children, 16 grandchildren, 32 great grandchildren, and five great, great grandchildren. LAT paid obits
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 10.22.08
More by Kevin Roderick:Standing up to Harvey Weinstein
LA Times gets a top editor with nothing but questions
LA Observed Notes: Harvey Weinstein stripped bare
LA Observed Notes: Photos of the homeless, photos that found homes
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Thursday news and notes
A little bit of mid-week reading
A few links from a few different places
Let's talk about anything but the weather
A few links from here and there
A couple of links from a couple of places
A bit of news from a few places
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.16.14