- Proposition 8 proponents filed briefs challenging AG Jerry Brown's legal position against the measure. AP, LAT, Chronicle
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein isn't happy about the Obama appointment of Leon Panetta to run the CIA. Washington Post
- Steve Jobs' 'hormone imbalance' may be a sign that his pancreas cancer has returned, doctors say. LAT
- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, art collector Cheech Marin and local arts leaders will kick off the first annual LA Arts Month at 10 a.m. at the Japanese American National Museum.
- The new Trader Joe's in Westwood Village will have its grand re-opening on Jan. 12. Daily Bruin
- Those front page ads in the New York Times cost $75,000 daily, $100,000 on Sunday. NY Post
- Former Schwarzenegger aide Darrel Ng has launched a website covering Sacramento happy hour spots: Cowtown Eats.
- Journalist Alan Mittelstaedt will be the guest speaker at Saturday's meeting downtown of Southern California Transit Advocates.
- Top brass at Village Voice Media are taking 15% pay cuts, openings are frozen and 401-k contributions are stopped, citing "the George Bush economy of the past eight years." Westword
* Fixed: The link to Cowtown Eats.