- In a follow to her audit of City Hall gang programs a year ago, Controller Laura Chick says there is still a long ways to go. Report
- Unlike in L.A., next Tuesday's election in the small city of Cudahy has no shortage of excitement: of the Molotov cocktail, hooded thug, FBI investigation sort. CityBeat
- The past four years "are a litany of City Council failures at the most basic level," says the LA Weekly's new cover story, plus a history lesson on where the council's big salaries came from.
- The L.A. Times posted stories on the Controller race between Wendy Greuel and Nick Patsaouras, and on City Attorney hopeful Carmen Trutanich.
- The Center for Governmental Studies has posted another in its series of voter guides to the upcoming Los Angeles city election.
- San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom is wading into Antonio Villaraigosa's turf with a March 19 event called a "Los Angeles Area Conversation about California's Future." Sausage Factory
- Cardinal Roger Mahony and the archdiocese may not be named as defendants in a molestation lawsuit by an Iraq war veteran, but they are in the case nonetheless. CityBeat
- The LA Weekly is marketing an event called Gold Standard in which food critic Jonathan Gold "presents 30 hand-picked restaurants" to purvey their food and wine to patrons who pony up $60 per ticket.
- Councilwoman (and Controller candidate) Wendy Greuel will unveil a list of the city's most delinquent business tax non-payers at a presser on Friday morning.
- The weekly LA Stage Times listing has a new look. LA Stage Blog
- An octopus at the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium opened a valve on its tank and flooded the place with seawater. L.A. Now
- The L.A. Press Club is holding a panel tonight called "What to do After You Leave Your Job in Journalism,” moderated by Jill Stewart.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Arts and culture
Go to Arts and culture
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed