- Mayor Villaraigosa told the Daily News editorial board that the city is facing "layoffs in numbers we've never seen." DN
- The accidental release of a list of 900 allegations of racial profiling by LAPD officers provides an argument for more openness, an LAT editorial argues.
- KNBC threw out its 11 o'clock news last night to stay live with the slow-speed chase of a Bentley through parts of L.A., for the first time in several years — news director Bob Long has previously spoken out against covering chases. Also, LAist live-blogged the chase, which ended after midnight with a suicide in Universal City, and the false Twitter and Wikipedia rumors that DJ Khaled was the driver. LAist
- Two suspects were arrested for setting that exotic dancer on fire at a Tarzana strip club, and a fund has been set up for her children. LAT (link fixed), DN
- L.A. Times newsroom staffers will begin to get the layoff word on Monday, says blogger Joe Scott.
- City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo will announce the filing of criminal action against two Los Angeles car wash owners, a manager, and four car wash businesses for violations of labor and penal codes.
- Related Cos. has requested an extension of its deadline to start work on the Grand Avenue Project on Bunker Hill. L.A. Now
- Michael Kinsley discusses the future of micro-payments for news through his experience as editor of Slate when it wasn't free. NYT
- Josh Friedman, who used to write the weekly box office report for the L.A. Times Business section, is joining the Bloomberg News bureau here as Investing Editor.
- Exploring the Byzantine-Latino Quarter, "a corner of the Pico-Union district where Greeks, Mexicans and Central Americans have found vibrant synergy." LAT/The Guide
- Columnist Susan Goulding praises "The Oaks" by Rip Rense as "appalling, touching, universal, insightful, compassionate, surprising, tense, hopeful and complex." Daily Breeze
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Morning Buzz: Friday 4.27.12
Morning Buzz: Thursday 4.26.12
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.25.12
Morning Buzz: Tuesday 4.24.12
Morning Buzz: Monday 4.23.12
Previous story: LAT's naming of Rihanna scrutinized
Next story: Live streaming from Israeli consulate
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed