- Tim Rutten suggests an anti-trust exemption to let newspapers collude on charging for web content. LAT Op-Ed
- A string of street robberies and attacks in Silver Lake and environs could be the work of an Echo Park gang initiating new members. Curbed LA, Fox 11, The Eastsider LA
- The Board of Supervisors is talking about withholding tax payments to Sacramento until the state gets its act together. LAT, DN
- A gunman shot and killed two gang members at a South L.A. street shrine for a previous murder victim. LAT
- MOCA's board has nine recent vacancies, on top of the 20% staff layoff announced last week. Culture Monster
- Joe Francis emailed around a statement announcing the Girls Gone Wild CEO's release from custody, saying a miscommunication led to his arrest for showing up late to court while sick.
- Steve Lopez's readers like the idea of a debate between Mayor Villaraigosa and challenger Walter Moore, but campaign strategist Ace Smith doesn't. LAT
- Villaraigosa is meeting today in Washington with Obama Administration officials and congressional leaders on the federal stimulus package.
- City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo has a 10 a.m. media date to demolish the Drew Street headquarters of The Avenues gang in Northeast L.A.
- A new supergraphic went up along the Santa Monica Freeway, this time at Robertson. Ban Billboard Blight
- Mickey Kaus suggests churlishly that Huffington Post staffers should organize a union. Kausfiles
- Photographer Scott Varley has posted a slide show of the Daily Breeze move from its old offices in Torrance.
- Robert Evans will write a sequel to "The Kid Stays in the Picture" for Phoenix, to be published next winter.
- San Francisco Chronicle raises home delivery price substantially, essentially charging readers for the convenience. SF Weekly
- The new Sports Letter from the LA84 Foundation is out, with an accompanying blog.
- David Beckham's lawyers are reportedly in talks with the Galaxy to secure his release. Nick Green/100% Soccer
- Frances Kavanaugh, the "Cowgirl of the Typewriter" who wrote more than 30 western movie scripts in the 1940s and 50s, died in Encino at age 93. LAT
- Rimshot: Steve Julian quipped today on KPCC that there's a 60% chance of rain tomorrow, so gather ten people and six of them will get wet.
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 2.4.09
More by Kevin Roderick:John Severson, 83, founder of Surfer magazine
LA Observed Notes: 60 Minutes, selling the Coliseum and more
Gil Cedillo, Nick Melvoin win LA runoffs*
LA Observed Notes: Baca goes down, LAX shuffle, media moves
LA Observed Notes: Big TV news, media moves, obits and more
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Thursday news and notes
A little bit of mid-week reading
A few links from a few different places
Let's talk about anything but the weather
A few links from here and there
A couple of links from a couple of places
A bit of news from a few places
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.16.14