- President Obama will depart from Long Beach Airport about 6 p.m. after today's town hall near downtown and afternoon taping with Jay Leno in Burbank.
- The Los Angeles Planning Commission deadlocked on a series of votes to overhaul the city's billboard law, taking no action pending another try next week. LAT
- The corner of Hollywood and Western is "the epicenter of an underground world [where] homeless youth, many cast off at 18 by the foster-care system, root out lives in a dim, moldy labyrinth of “abandos” — abandoned buildings hidden behind storefronts and the busy boulevard." Daniel Heimpel/LA Weekly
- Kanye West was charged with misdemeanor vandalism, grand theft and battery for a scuffle with photographers at LAX in September. LAT
- Supervisor Mike Antonovich wants to revive that whole tedious debate about whether to include a cross in the Los Angeles County seal. DN
- An LAT editorial addresses NPR's decision to stop paying for newspaper subscriptions. LAT
- KPFK host Gustavo Arellano says another show on the station, La Causa, "allows some of the worst anti-Semitic bile to soil Southern California since La Voz de Aztlan." OC Weekly
- Former Daily News managing editor Mark Barnhill is part of Platinum Equity, the group that purchased the San Diego Union-Tribune. Also, real estate is key to the deal. Voice of San Diego
- There's a candidate's forum for the 32nd congressional district tonight hosted by the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project and the Latino Professional Network at the Los Angeles River Center & Gardens on West Avenue 26. But it'll cost you $15.
- The Bobby Shriver for AG whisper campaign mentioned last week gets fresh rehashing at L.A. Now.
- News industry pundits Jeff Jarvis and Alan D. Mutter are discussing the future of newspapers at the Times' opinion site. Dust-Up
- Spoofing the L.A. Times' undiscerning love of social networking tools: all stories as plays on 25 random things. Not the LA Times
- The Los Angeles Press Club will honor Joe Morgenstern of the Wall Street Journal and KCRW next Thursday at the 2nd Annual National Entertainment Journalism Awards.
- Ken Burns guests on KPCC's "Patt Morrison" at 1:25 p.m. to discuss his latest documentary for PBS, “The National Parks: America’s Best Idea.”
- Mort Lachman, a longtime Bob Hope writer and TV producer, died Tuesday at age 90. LAT
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Morning Buzz: Friday 4.27.12
Morning Buzz: Thursday 4.26.12
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.25.12
Morning Buzz: Tuesday 4.24.12
Morning Buzz: Monday 4.23.12
Previous story: Update your mental image of Charles Manson
Next story: Bellows remembered by Mary Anne Dolan
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed