- Scientists studying the current swine flu virus say it doesn't look to be as fatal as past strains, and may be less dangerous than the usual flu. Meanwhile, a probable case at Cal State Long Beach. LAT, Press-Telegram, LBReport.com
- Cops say they have linked John Floyd Thomas Jr., a 72-year-old insurance claims adjuster arrested last month, to five murders and suspect he may be involved in 25 more. "When all is said and done, Mr. Thomas stands to be Los Angeles' most prolific serial killer," said LAPD Robbery-Homicide Cold Case Det. Richard Bengston. LAT
- LA Weekly cover story uses many words to show that numbers don't support Chief Bratton's claim that violent crime in L.A. recently fell to 1956 levels. LAW
Also in the Weekly: Density bonus ruling, Jane Usher and DWP slush fund.
- More than 380 children in Los Angeles County died in 2007 as a result of drownings, gunshots and other unnatural causes, says a county report expected to be released today. DN wires
- University of California officials plan to go ahead with an $662 fee hike for the fall and warned that faculty and staff layoffs might be needed. LAT
- "In a world of political neophytes," Valley Assemblyman Bob Blumenfield "exudes political competence." Anthony York/Capitol Weekly
- There's a Hollywood financial angle to the swine flu situation. LAT
- So—what does happen to the state budget if the May 19 ballot measures fail? KCRW/WWLA
- A Corona woman says that her father was the Bay Area's notorious Zodiac killer. AP
- Patt Morrison's L.A. Times Op-Ed column is morphing into a Saturday feature called Patt Morrison Asks: "conversations with leading thinkers, policymakers and cultural figures. First up, L.A.'s termed-out city controller and the state's just-named watchdog for federal stimulus funds -- Laura Chick."
- Former LAT environment specialist Janet Wilson was named a Senior Fellow of USC Annenberg's Institute for Justice and Journalism.
- Jacob Soboroff has a half-hour special about the Tribeca Film Festival on AMC Friday night at 11 p.m.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Morning Buzz: Friday 4.27.12
Morning Buzz: Thursday 4.26.12
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.25.12
Morning Buzz: Tuesday 4.24.12
Morning Buzz: Monday 4.23.12
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Arts and culture
Go to Arts and culture
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed