- Freeways are uncommonly bad out there today, especially the 405 north due to truck crash in Sepulveda Pass.
- Incoming councilman Paul Koretz signed his chief of staff: Rich Llewellyn, the former Eric Garcetti CoS who has been top deputy to City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo. Rick Orlov
- Paramount president John Lesher is out. Nikki Finke
- Phil Jackson says the results of some pending health tests will determine if he comes back to coach the Lakers next year. LAT
Also: It's Jackson's turn to sit on Conan O'Brien's couch tonight, while Kobe Bryant and most of the Lakers will be on Jimmy Kimmel.
- The Times has come up with a new, contracted-out version of the L.A. Times Poll, sans local director, and it finds opinion divided on gay marriage and the influence of unions at City Hall.
- Fox 11 anchor Christine Devine tweeted that today was a wasted day: "Someone broke into my car. Shattered glass everywhere! Reminder to not leave valuables inside. LAPD says desperate people."
- KPCC's Patt Morrison tweets: "Your public radio term of the day:rubber drag. We'll leave the definition to your imagination, c/o porn star & KPCC listener Nina Hartley!"
- Harry Pallenberg, who works for Huell Howser, has started a twitter feed for LA as Subject, the alliance that puts on the annual L.A. archives bazaar.
More by Kevin Roderick:John Severson, 83, founder of Surfer magazine
LA Observed Notes: 60 Minutes, selling the Coliseum and more
Gil Cedillo, Nick Melvoin win LA runoffs*
LA Observed Notes: Baca goes down, LAX shuffle, media moves
LA Observed Notes: Big TV news, media moves, obits and more
Recent Mobility stories on LA Observed:Questions big and small for Measure M
California Incline redo in timelapse
Expo Line buzz lifts rail system numbers
Two Metro lines for two different LAs
Real estate developers: all aboard Expo
Expo Line to Santa Monica opened Friday at noon
Obama returns Thursday, Trump (not) here Friday*
Hollywood versus the freeway that carries its name