Talk about Bratton and Villaraigosa leads today's news and notes, and be happy you aren't commuting in the Bay Area today. Also see today's Mark Lacter morning headlines at LA Biz Observed, and follow Mark and Kevin on Twitter.
- No matter how bad you find traffic today, be grateful you aren't in the Bay Area: the Bay Bridge connecting Oakland with San Francisco is closed for today's commutes. SF Chronicle
- A Times editorial and people on the street agree: the next LAPD chief should be a lot like William Bratton. LAT, KPCC
- Mayor Villaraigosa is "trying to shed a reputation for being long on promises and short on follow-through," say David Zahniser and Maeve Reston. LAT
Plus: Renewable Energy Accountability Project, a group tied to Deputy Mayor S. David Freeman, is posting pro-Villaraigosa signs all over town. LAT
- The mayor's new gang czar will be Guillermo Cespedes, program director of the mayor’s Summer Night Lights program, says Celeste Fremon. Witness LA
- Villaraigosa has quietly appointed Kenneth H. Fearn, founder and managing partner of Integrated Capital, LLC. a private equity real estate group, to the board of the Community Redevelopment Agency.
- The Daily News co-endorsed Tamar Galatzan and Pete Sanchez in the 2nd council district race. DN editorial
- Backlash in the Valley against the city's new higher parking meter rates, designed to increase revenue from parking tickets. DN
- Almost a year after the deadly Chatsworth crash, Metrolink officials officials "are facing a vexing array of technical, financial and potential legal challenges as they struggle to deliver on pledges of trailblazing safety reforms." LAT
- Police have successfully reduced late-night "donuts" on Crenshaw Boulevard. Watts Times
- The Station Fire, still burning in the San Gabriel Mountains, has covered 157,200 acres and is 56% contained. LAT
- The New York Daily News posted a correction substantiates the troubles L.A. writer Ben Sheffner found in its story about rapper Roxanne Shante getting an education via Warner Music.
- Orange County's Little Saigon is home to five thriving newspapers. LAT
- Former Angels broadcaster Buddy Blattner died at age 89. LAT