Waiting until Tuesday for the new chief, more parsing of Gavin Newsom's exit, plus more after the jump — including anniversaries for the Sports Arena and the Herald Examiner.
- Could it be that Mayor Villaraigosa delaying the choice of police chief to Tuesday is both power play and milking the moment? Celeste Fremon thinks so. Witness LA
Plus:Villaraigosa accepts an award from Jane Goodall, without Lu Parker. Patt Morrison
- There are plans to introduce the new chief in communities around the city as part of the confirmation process. Rick Orlov/DN
- Gavin Newsom's exit from the governor's race partly reflected the failure of his Twitter-Facebook strategy and partly that he refused to put City Hall on hold to do the old-fashioned fundraising that was necessary. CalBuzz
- City Attorney Carmen Trutanich does some image repair in an interview with Rick Orlov. DN
- DWP workers get a pay raise and LAPD cops don't? Blame Brian D'Arcy, says Ron Kaye.
- School board member Tamar Galatzan, who finished third in September’s special election, endorsed Assemblyman Paul Krekorian in the 2nd council district runoff. LAT
- Studio City is still paying a price for that big water main break. DN
- David Letterman's ratings look to have been helped by the furor over his sexual relationship with an underling. THR
- USC Annenberg and the National Arts Journalism Program announced the winning projects that were entered in the National Summit on Arts Journalism, held October 2. Summit website
- Mitrice Richardson has now been missing a month and a half after her arrest at Geoffrey's in Malibu. LAT
- On this day in 1989, the Los Angeles Herald Examiner shut down. Ex-staffer's site
- The Sports Arena, former home of the Lakers, turns 50. Downtown News
- Tonight at 9 p.m. KCET will air "Cardinali," the story of restaurateur (Hamburger Hamlet, Kate Mantilini), fashion designer and movie producer Marilyn Lewis. Noted: Lewis's Gardens on Glendon in Westwood has closed except for private parties.