Greuel says April 19 is when city workers have to stop working, Whitman writes another $20 million check, The Wrap vs. Newser and more. We had the news on Jose Gomez succeeding Cardinal Roger Mahony last night before bed.
- Controller Wendy Greuel, continuing to push DWP to pass along the $73 million it is withholding, told KNX this morning that city workers will have to stay home beginning April 19 if $90 million is not transferred by that date from the city's reserve fund. KNX
- Los Angeles "through the inept leadership of a conflicted Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and a weak City Council, is slipping into Third World status," political observer Joe Scott blogs.
- Activist Ron Kaye is using the budget crisis to promote his call for a slate of candidates to join him in taking over City Hall. Ron Kaye LA
- Meg Whitman pumps another $20 million into her campaign for governor. LAT, AP, Calbuzz
- Activists in Maywood have succeeded in costing the LAUSD $20 million but not in stopping plans for a new high school that would force about 100 families to relocate. LAT
- Sharon Waxman of The Wrap calls out Newser for stealing online content without the customary linkage, eliciting varied reactions. The Wrap, Salon, Newser, Slate
- Traffic on the westbound 101 at Laurel Canyon in the Valley was tied up this morning by the death of a motorcyclist who collided with a big rig. LAFD
- The body of LAPD officer Robert Cottle was returned from Afghanistan, where he was killed while on duty with the Marines. Whittier Daily News
- KCBS has let go helicopter reporter Larry Welk. SC Media Scoop