Long Wimbledon match ends, controversies over county probation and welfare recipients in casinos, overlooking the Arizona boycott if it helps revenue, the earth moves and more.
- That marathon tennis match at Wilmbledon ended at 70-68 in the fifth set with American John Isner winning. ESPN
Plus: That Brit blogger we posted about yesterday is due to be a guest on KPCC's "Patt Morrison" at 1:40 p.m.
- Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas called for federal oversight of the county's Probation Department, and other news in the unfolding story. LAT, Witness LA
- The L.A. Times checked and found state-issued debit cards for welfare recipients would work at ATM machines in more than half of the state's casinos and gaming rooms, but doesn't know if any cash has been obtained there. LAT
- The City Council did, as expected, exempt its redlight camera vendor from the Arizona boycott. LAT, Fox 11, DN
- An LAPD testified in the civil trial over the May Day Melee about using his baton to push Fox 11 camera operator Patricia Ballaz and reporter Christina Gonzalez. Courthouse News Service
- A Public Utilities Commission hearing officer tentatively approved construction of a controversial street-level crossing for the Expo Line next to Dorsey High School. LAT
- Part-time City Council members in the small city of Bell receive nearly $100,000 a year, and the DA is investigating. LAT
- Residents in Monrovia can contract through the city for bear-resistant trash cans for $4.99 a month. City website
- The 7.2 magnitude quake in Mexico south of the Imperial Valley on Easter Sunday moved the earth's crust ten feet, studies have found. LAT
- The Getty Research Institute announced today that it has acquired an important group of letters and postcards from the Belgian surrealist René Magritte. Via release
- Neon Tommy, the website of Annenberg Digital News, has redesigned and updated its website and added some neon. NT
- Bike riders on Friday are holding their first Critical Mass ride since the encounter in Hollywood with unruly LAPD officers. Streetsblog
- Also on the bike front, Orange Coast magazine has a story about a fatal accident last year on the Newport Coast. OC
- Tim DeRoche has launched Momentary.org, "a free mobile gratitude journal."
- The Dodger Stadium gates will open earlier for this weekend's series with the Yankees.