Cardinal Mahony's deposition, the Obamas see the Getty, the City Council delays on Arizona, Gov. Schwarzenegger comes to the Press Club Awards, plus Joel Kotkin, Jeanie Buss, Glenn Beck, Anthony Bourdain and more.
- A newly released deposition sheds light on Cardinal Roger Mahony's handling of priests linked to molestation of parishioners. LAT
Also: Gustavo Arellano is surprised and dismayed that Mahony refers to "illegal aliens" in his deposition. OC Weekly
- Add the Getty to one of the stops the Obama women and girls made on Monday, apparently: "They spent time in the Paintings Conservation studio, toured the central garden, then had lunch at the Restaurant. I'm a staff member, and we were on 'lock down' while a special "VIP" guest was here. We were not allowed to walk the halls, and no one at the Getty even told us who was here."
Plus: But who did they cheer for last night at Staples Center? LAT
- Steve Lopez calls the disclosure that county probation employees used county credit cards to buy TVs, DVD players and Sony PlayStations is "the next bombshell." LAT
- The City Council delayed a decision on whether to let LAPD officers attend a meeting in Arizona, and gave the Department of Neighborhood Empower LAT
- Although "right now even the most passionate Angeleno struggles to feel optimistic" Joel Kotkin writes that there's still hope for Los Angeles to "blossom further as a hub for international trade, global culture and fashion. But to achieve that goal the city needs a government that will nurture its grassroots rather than stomp or extort them." New Geography
- Jeanie Buss talks about boyfriend Phil Jackson, ex-bf John McEnroe and her upcoming book about this Lakers season in a Q&A with USA Today.
- The Radio Television Digital News Association named 89 winners of the National Edward R. Murrow awards, which honor excellence in electronic journalism. RTDNA
- The Los Angeles Press Club has added Governor Schwarzenegger to give the opening remarks, Kathy Griffin for comedy and Wendie Malick as a celebrity presenter at its awards dinner on June 27.
- KRLA will begin airing "The Glenn Beck Program" live on weekdays from 6 - 9 a.m. on July 6. Via release
- The LA Weekly changed the name of its news blog from LA Daily to The Informer.
- Jury selection will begin Thursday in the trial of FOX 11 News camera operator Patricia “Patti” Ballaz’ suit against the City of Los Angeles and LAPD over her injuries in the May Day Melee in MacArthur Park. Via release
- Chef and TV host Anthony Bourdain, who appears tonight at UCLA, guests with Patt Morrison on KPCC at 1:30 p.m.
- Film critic and author Peter Brunette, a contributor to the Hollywood Reporter, died of a heart attack while covering the Taormina Film Festival in Italy. IndieWire