Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown, school scores are up, Villaraigosa and the cyclists, a Heal the Bay mockumentary and more.
- Now we come to the campaign phase where Meg Whitman goes after Jerry Brown more directly, trying to break the tie. SF Chronicle, Bee
Plus: What Brown will get as a double-dipping public pensioner. SFC, SB, LAT, OCR
- Schools in the LAUSD and statewide, as well as those involved in Mayor Villaraigosa's reform effort, all reported higher test scores. LAT, DN
- The FBI and other agencies are looking at possible corruption in Bell's neighboring city Maywood. LAT
- Mayor Villaraigosa listened to about 100 cyclists at his "bike summit" and promised to work for more miles of bikeways. Former mayor Richard Riordan attended. DN, Streetsblog
- Councilman Jose Huizar visits with relocated New York author and cultural historian Allon Schoener, who is blogging from the Hollenbeck Palms retirement home in Boyle Heights. Cosmopolitan Observer
- Heal the Bay is releasing a four-minute mockumentary about plastic bags that is narrated by actor Jeremy Irons. YouTube
- Greater Long Beach.com is a new news and culture website published by Dave Wielenga "inspired by the 10-years-and-counting legacy of LBReport.com "...and informed by the ahead-of-its time hip and humor of the [late] District Weekly." GLB
- DWP general manager Austin Beutner is on KPCC's "Patt Morrison" at 1:40 p.m. to discuss "how the relationships in city government will impact the future of your water & power bill."
- Frances Anderton remembers her friend, the urban designer John Chase, with guests Ann Macintosh, Richard Loring, Alan Hess and Margaret Crawford on "DnA: Design and Architecture" at 2:30 p.m. on KCRW.