- Sofia Coppola's "Somewhere," a forthcoming film set mostly at the Chateau Marmont, won the top Golden Lion prize at the Venice Film Festival.
- LAPD chief Charlie Beck said the community reaction to the shooting of the 37-year-old day laborer in the Westlake district has caused him to do some self-reflection: "Our challenge is to figure that out and to understand what it is really about. We're still working to peel back those layers."
- With both USC and UCLA playing late games on Saturday, the early deadline installed earlier this year at the Los Angeles Times was "ugly for LAT Sports. Paper just doesn't look right," says former managing editor John Arthur. Some subscribers got half-time scores for both games.
- Patt Morrison talks to Gary Leonard about his decades as an L.A. photographer.
- Jonathan Gold op-eds for the LAT on the coolness of food trucks and uncoolness of regulatory efforts by councilmen Tom LaBonge and Paul Koretz.
- Journalists Mona Gable and Molly Selvin weigh in as mothers on the emotional hurdles of their kids going off to college.
- Tale of two Westside skate parks, one abruptly closed and another newly opened but unpopular.
- The son of the late, famed artist and architect Millard Sheets is exhibit director of the Millard Sheets Center for the Arts at the county fair.
- The debate over RV parking has polarized the Venice community, says Neon Tommy.
- Great story by ESPN's Tom Friend on the tortured life and early death of former major league pitcher Eric Show.
- Nice story also in Sports Illustrated on former Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley, who says of the McCourts' saga: "It's embarrassing. There has been a total disconnect between the McCourts and the greater Los Angeles community."
- Carol Hector, publisher and editor of The Argonaut, died at age 62 of complications of lymphoma.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
Previous story: Optical illusion of a girl tried for pedestrian safety
Next story: When asteroids attack...
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed