Calbuzz on Arianna, Rick Orlov's Tipoffs, Variety's shadow and the list of SPJ's new journalists of the year. Plus more, inside.
- "Almost everyone believes California's government isn't working." Sacto Bee
- Calbuzz on Arianna Huffington: "Today’s sign the end of civilization is near: Remind us again why she gets to be on 'Meet the Press'? Calbuzz
- The DMV is six weeks behind in delivering new drivers licenses to motorists up for renewal, due to production issues with the new design. Bee
- Rick Orlov's Monday Tipoffs: Neighborhood councils whining about their free parking, Pat McOsker and the LAFD, Council phone not working anymore, and county "mayor" Antonovich. DN
- A City Council coalition to override the mayor's veto of a DWP ballot measure fell apart in a public fashion at Friday's meeting. DN
- Los Angeles Film School has hired the lobbying firm of Englander, Knabe & Allen to pres its dispute with the Hollywood Farmers Market over street access and parking. LAT
Plus: City leaders need to step in. LAT editorial
- Betty Pleasant says the departure of adviser Rev. Leonard Jackson means "the last Black standing in the mayor’s office" has left Mayor Villaraigosa's staff. Soulvine
- Return of the "Brownies," a little grayer now. DN
- Variety has become a shadow of its former self, says Sharon Waxman. The Wrap
Plus: Who has left and where they went
- Ralph Vartabedian of the LAT, Conanan Nolan of KNBC, Larry Mantle of KPCC, Robert Scheer of Truthdig and Dennis Anderson, editor of the Antelope Valley Press, will be honored with journalist of the year awards by the local chapter of SPJ.
- Gawker Media's database of commenter sign-ins and passwords was hacked. Gawker, Reuters, NYT
- The next major construction along the 405 freeways will be in Orange County and impact interchanges with the 22 and 605. LAT
- The NBA champion Lakers will be honored today by President Barack Obama, not at the White House but at the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington. DN wires
- Producer David Hoberman talks about getting "The Fighter" made at 2:30 p.m. on "The Treatment" on KCRW.
- Anne Rice talks about her new novel, "Of Love and Evil," with Patt Morrison at 2:40 p.m. on KPCC.
- Dick Turpin, the former real estate editor of the Times, died at age 91. LAT