- City Councilman Bill Rosendahl said he will undergo a medical procedure Thursday to treat atrial fibrillation and dramatically reduce his risk of stroke by insertion of a "Watchman" device in his heart.
- Angelenos (and formers) on the list for tonight's White House state dinner with Hu Jintao of China include Barbra Streisand, Patrick Soon-Shiong, Jackie Chan, Herbie Hancock, Elaine Chao, Robert Iger, Willow Bay, Michelle Kwan, Yo Yo Ma, Stanley Toy Jr. and Charles Woo.
- LAX led the country last year in reports of laser lights being pointed at aircraft.
- Howard Rosenberg and Tom Shales discuss the state of TV reviewing with Variety's Brian Lowry.
- Times columnist Steve Lopez and Sam Paredes, head of Gun Owners of California, debate gun control tonight at 7 p.m. on "Which Way, L.A.?" on KCRW. Also: Sheriff Lee Baca defends himself against charges of favoritism.
- A Delta IV Heavy rocket could become the largest rocket ever launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base as soon as Thursday morning. The Air Force is warning nearby residents to expect more noise and vibration that from previous launches. Follow launch from 12:43 p.m. Thursday at http://www.ulalaunch.com.
- Vern Lanegrasse, sometimes called The Hollywood Chef after his column of that name, died this morning, according to longtime L.A. food writer Barbara Hansen.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
Previous story: Case closed on Ronni Chasen murder, BH police chief says
Next story: TIghten the gradients, Marge
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed