- Jane Fonda's third act: "I never thought this is where I'd be at this point in my life — 73, shacked up with somebody in the music business," she laughs. "But here I am."
- The crop of students moving through college right now includes the largest group of mixed-race people ever to come of age in the United States, and they are only the vanguard: the country is in the midst of a demographic shift driven by immigration and intermarriage.
- Gustavo Dudamel continues to wow on the L.A. Philharmonic's European tour.
- The L.A. Times Travel section began a new series of neighborhood tours with Downtown, though the first and last stops recommended — the Natural History Museum and the Derby Dolls' Doll Factory — are not located in Downtown.
- In praise of garden guru Lili Singer and the Theodore Payne Foundation for Wildflowers & Native Plants.
- Verdugo Village is a new place on the map, sort of, along Verdugo Road in Glassell Park.
- Dennis Cozzalio of Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule explains why he had to very reluctantly miss screenings by the New Beverly Cinema and the Wright Stuff II series.
- The Hoover Dam bypass bridge over the Colorado River is now open and provides the best views of the dam.
- Chris Brown has completed a domestic violence counseling program required as part of the singer's guilty plea to assaulting then-girlfriend Rihanna in L.A. nearly two years ago.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Hollywood stories on LA Observed:Hollywood Reporter gets political
Rejected Joe Eszterhas' Maccabees script is "a Jewish Braveheart'
Publicist Michael Sands dies after choking on sample at Gelson's
Moving day at KCET
Mel Gibson and Joe Eszterhas exchange words over Maccabee script *
Previous story: Valley finally gets another concert hall
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed