- Authorities have changed their tune again and now think Thursday's explosion outside Chabad House in Santa Monica was from a homemade explosive device purposely placed there. LAT
- The Tea Party candidate for the Pasadena school board comes with some personal baggage, says Truthout.
- California Watch takes on seismic safety in public schools. CW
- Good magazine launches its Los Angeles issue with three days of events, beginning tonight at Atwater Crossing. Good LA
- Four unnamed state lawmakers have been given permission to carry concealed weapons in the state Capitol. Bee
- NYT op-ed columnist Mark Bittman on "To the Point" with Warren Olney. KCRW
- KFI's John & Ken blame Dodger Stadium beating on "Mexican culture," says Gustavo Arellano.
- Jacket Copy, the LAT's books blog, is letting readers vote on their favorite L.A. books.
- Toy versions of L.A. County Sheriff's cars will soon be at Wal-Mart.
- UCLA's basketball team will play most of its games next season at the old Sports Arena, says the L.A. Times.
- The story of how Jim Buzinski and Cyd Zeigler met at a gay pride event in West Hollywood in 1996 and went on to form the groundbreaking Outsports.com. NYT
- Tweet from David Courtney: "ready to announce my 18th opening night at Angel Stadium as they enter their 50th season!"
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed