- Mayor Villaraigosa named his transportation deputy, Jaime de la Vega, as head of the city Department of Transportation and LAPD Cmdr. Michael Williams to temporarily oversee reforms within the parking enforcement division.
- A parole commissioner ruled that Dodger Stadium beating suspect Giovanni Ramirez should be held on weapons violations, but did not find enough evidence to conclude he was involved in the attack on Bryan Stow.
- Controller Wendy Greuel will be on KABC's "Eyewitness Newsmakers" show Sunday at 11 a.m. on Channel 7.
- Greuel's new communications deputy is Shannon Murphy, the former aide to Mayor Jim Hahn and most recently spokeswoman for Speaker John Perez.
- Katie Couric could announce as early as Monday a move to ABC that would include a syndicated daytime talk show and contributions to ABC News.
- Rebecca Schoenkopf on Wonkette editor (and desert dweller) Ken Layne and his new book, "Dignity."
- Pitcher Jon Garland looks like the latest Dodger to hit the disabled list.
- James Arness, Marshal Matt Dillon on TV's "Gunsmoke" from 1955-1975, died at age 88.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Politics stories on LA Observed:Balboa Island has to decide if it believes in global warming
Kumar vs Smith: the political power in a name
LAPD, Trutanich add more muscle around USC
Hollywood Reporter gets political
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.25.12
Previous story: New Boyle Heights paper is reported by teens
Next story: Video: riding up Angeles Crest
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed