- Mayor Villaraigosa named his transportation deputy, Jaime de la Vega, as head of the city Department of Transportation and LAPD Cmdr. Michael Williams to temporarily oversee reforms within the parking enforcement division.
- A parole commissioner ruled that Dodger Stadium beating suspect Giovanni Ramirez should be held on weapons violations, but did not find enough evidence to conclude he was involved in the attack on Bryan Stow.
- Controller Wendy Greuel will be on KABC's "Eyewitness Newsmakers" show Sunday at 11 a.m. on Channel 7.
- Greuel's new communications deputy is Shannon Murphy, the former aide to Mayor Jim Hahn and most recently spokeswoman for Speaker John Perez.
- Katie Couric could announce as early as Monday a move to ABC that would include a syndicated daytime talk show and contributions to ABC News.
- Rebecca Schoenkopf on Wonkette editor (and desert dweller) Ken Layne and his new book, "Dignity."
- Pitcher Jon Garland looks like the latest Dodger to hit the disabled list.
- James Arness, Marshal Matt Dillon on TV's "Gunsmoke" from 1955-1975, died at age 88.
Friday desk clearing
More by Kevin Roderick:Standing up to Harvey Weinstein
LA Times gets a top editor with nothing but questions
LA Observed Notes: Harvey Weinstein stripped bare
LA Observed Notes: Photos of the homeless, photos that found homes
Recent Politics stories on LA Observed:David Ryu and candidate Mike Fong
Tronc buys (NY) Daily News, La Tuna fire aftermath and more
Helping in Houston, new lion cubs, Garcetti's back
Garcetti has weekend date in the Hamptons
Garcetti hitting the road to New Hampshire
LA Confederate monument coming down
LA Observed Notes: Back from vacation and into the fray
Rendon fights for neglected Southeast