The city Department of Transportation is slapping up new No Stopping any Time signs for Carmageddon weekend on these streets:
- Ventura Boulevard between Balboa Blvd. and Sherman Oaks Avenue - South Side
- Ventura Boulevard between Noble Avenue and Sepulveda Boulevard – North Side
- Sepulveda Boulevard between Greenleaf Street and Valley Vista Boulevard – Both Sides
- Sepulveda Boulevard between Valley Vista Boulevard and the 405 Freeway – West Side
- Sepulveda Boulevard between Moraga Drive and Ovada Place – East Side
Total denial?: It's amazing that you still hear some people either 1) wondering what the big deal is, or 2) Saying glibly that Carmageddon is a Westside event, and thus of no general consequence. Well, you'll notice only one of these streets is on the cooler side of the hill. Of the 500,000 drivers who normally cross Sepulveda Pass on a weekend, and who presumably will be looking for another route, a fairly small percentage begin their trip on the Westside.
The zone where the LAPD is pre-deploying officers to respond to crime calls extends from the 118 freeway (that's Mission Hills) to the 105 (that's Inglewood.) If you know anything else going on locally this weekend that covers that range or that could impact 500,000 to a million people, I'm sure the media would be glad to cover that too.