- The state Senate today rejected Assembly Speaker John Pérez's bill to eliminate the city of Vernon.
- With filing closed in CD 15, Warren Furutani announced the endorsement of Sheriff Lee Baca, Pat McOsker the backing of the firefighter union where he's the president.
- City Attorney Carmen Trutanich welcomed state Senate passage of a bill by Furutani that adds city prosecutors to the list of officials allowed to record conversations during criminal investigations.
- Chip Jacobs, co-author of "Smogtown: the Lung-Burning History of Pollution in Los Angeles," takes part in an online New York Times debate over what would happen if Republicans dismantle the EPA.
- What huge transportation challenge should be getting a lot of public attention but isn’t?
- The City Council remains in recess all week.
Also: My LA Observed column tonight on KCRW takes off from Jim Newton's Times column on Mayor Villaraigosa and his legacy as he slides toward the end of his mayoral tenure. The commentary airs at 6:44 on KCRW, on the website thereafter (and a little before.)