- The small but shallow earthquake that sloshed around at 1:47 p.m. settled at mgnitude 4.2, centered under the Santa Clarita side of the San Gabriels. SCEDC
- The jury could not agree on a charge to convict Oxnard teenager Brandon McInerney of in the junior high school killing of gay classmate Larry King, and the judge declared a mistrial.
- A Cal State San Bernardino kiniseology professor who allegedly led a chapter of the Devils Diciples motorcycle gang was charged Thursday with heading up a methamphetamine drug ring. LAT
- Heal the Bay president Mark Gold played hooky today and took his son to see the big waves at The Wedge.
- L.A. Kings TV announcer Bob Miller agreed to stay with the hockey team at least two more years, which would give him 40.
- The Los Angeles Times, California Watch and Pro Publica all have multiple entries as finalists in this year's Online News Association awards. Romenesko
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
Previous story: Berman v. Sherman divides Hollywood
Next story: AEG stadium a tough sell in Sacramento
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Arts and culture
Go to Arts and culture
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed