Rainy day short stack of headlines:
- After 15 years of litigation and protests, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors gave its blessing Tuesday for the first phase of the Newhall Ranch project, planned for 21,000 homes near Santa Clarita.
- DA Steve Cooley has opened a preliminary inquiry into allegations of irregularities in the Los Angeles Community College District's choice of a watchdog for its troubled $5.7-billion construction program.
- TPMMuckraker obtained and published the booking photo of accused campaign treasurer Kinde Durkee.
- A 7-year-old male mountain lion found dead last month in a Ventura County section of the Santa Monicas was killed and mutilated by poachers, state Fish and Game officials said, asking for help from the public.
- The Los Angeles Philharmonic has seized the initiative in guiding a national teaching program based on El Sistema, the Venezuelan-based movement that weds music teaching and social work.
- Questions remain about the death of journalist Julianne Rolle at the bottom of a Rancho Palos Verdes cliff.
- The NBA officially called off the rest of its preseason with the league idled by lack of a collective bargaining agreement with players.