- City Council pro tem Jan Perry gave up her leadership post effective today, citing closed-door maneuvering by colleagues over drawing new district lines and replacing Council President Eric Garcetti. His staff says he will step down at the end of the year. Both Garcetti and Perry are running for mayor. LAT, City Maven
- The House will launch an ethics inquiry into Long Beach Rep. Laura Richardson over allegations that she pressured her congressional staff to work on her campaign. LAT, AP
- Producers of the Funny Girl revival at the Ahmanson said the show has put on hold indefinitely, citing the economy. LAT
- Former Board of Education president Marlene Canter was named board chair of Green Dot Schools. UCLA vice chancellor Kevin reed will be vice chair.
- Emerson College in Boston plans to break ground next year on a Los Angeles Center at Sunset Blvd. and Gordon St. in Hollywood designed by Thom Mayne.
- At yesterday's Hollywood fame of Fame ceremony for the stars of "Twilight," Fox 11's Gigi Graciette facilitated Robert Pattinson meeting a woman who was dying and said she wanted to meet him. Fox 11 / Twitter
- The columnist let go by the Glendale News-Press for plagiarism was given a chance to respond with a blog in Montrose Patch.
- Matty Alou, one of three baseball-playing brothers from the Dominican Republic, died of diabetes complications at age 72. ESPN
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Morning Buzz: Friday 4.27.12
Morning Buzz: Thursday 4.26.12
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.25.12
Morning Buzz: Tuesday 4.24.12
Morning Buzz: Monday 4.23.12
Previous story: Subdued opening night at the Geffen
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Arts and culture
Go to Arts and culture
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed