- City Council pro tem Jan Perry gave up her leadership post effective today, citing closed-door maneuvering by colleagues over drawing new district lines and replacing Council President Eric Garcetti. His staff says he will step down at the end of the year. Both Garcetti and Perry are running for mayor. LAT, City Maven
- The House will launch an ethics inquiry into Long Beach Rep. Laura Richardson over allegations that she pressured her congressional staff to work on her campaign. LAT, AP
- Producers of the Funny Girl revival at the Ahmanson said the show has put on hold indefinitely, citing the economy. LAT
- Former Board of Education president Marlene Canter was named board chair of Green Dot Schools. UCLA vice chancellor Kevin reed will be vice chair.
- Emerson College in Boston plans to break ground next year on a Los Angeles Center at Sunset Blvd. and Gordon St. in Hollywood designed by Thom Mayne.
- At yesterday's Hollywood fame of Fame ceremony for the stars of "Twilight," Fox 11's Gigi Graciette facilitated Robert Pattinson meeting a woman who was dying and said she wanted to meet him. Fox 11 / Twitter
- The columnist let go by the Glendale News-Press for plagiarism was given a chance to respond with a blog in Montrose Patch.
- Matty Alou, one of three baseball-playing brothers from the Dominican Republic, died of diabetes complications at age 72. ESPN
Morning Buzz: Friday 11.4.11 (short stack)
More by Kevin Roderick:Standing up to Harvey Weinstein
LA Times gets a top editor with nothing but questions
LA Observed Notes: Harvey Weinstein stripped bare
LA Observed Notes: Photos of the homeless, photos that found homes
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Thursday news and notes
A little bit of mid-week reading
A few links from a few different places
Let's talk about anything but the weather
A few links from here and there
A couple of links from a couple of places
A bit of news from a few places
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.16.14
Previous story: Subdued opening night at the Geffen