Some quick news items from today.
- LAPD Chief Charlie Beck was appointed officially to a second term by the police commission. The vote was 4-1, with commission member Robert Saltzman opposed. LAT, DN, LA Weekly
- The NBA said the Clippers sale has closed and that Steven Ballmer is now owner of the second team in Los Angeles. Donald Sterling's lawyers are "reviewing options." ESPN
- Robin Williams died by hanging himself from a belt in his bedroom at home in Tiburon. He was found by a personal assistant. SFGate
- The LA City Council voted 9-2 today to approve a $26 million settlement with sanitation workers who said they were denied proper meal breaks. KPCC
- Author Reza Aslan has joined the board of the Los Angeles Review of Books.
And Patrick O'Neal of Fox Sports West tweets:
To the idiot that keyed my wife's car, with the only alternative being painting the entire hood, karma will find you.— Patrick O'Neal (@Patrick_ONeal) August 12, 2014
Update: He tweeted in July about getting married on Maui.