The Webby Awards are annual plaudits bestowed on corporate and institutional websites and a relative few blogs, with 8,000 entries in nearly 70 categories. Five finalists in each category were posted Tuesday and include LA Observed contributor Jacob Soboroff's site Why Tuesday? among the five best political blogs. The Huffington Post is also a finalist in the category. Other local finalists of note:
- Truthdig, politics website.
- Variety, best newspaper site, along with the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and two U.K. papers, the Guardian and the Independent.
- Sci-Arc and the Los Angeles Recording School, school category.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, science.
- Yahoo Sports (based in Santa Monica), sports site.