- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa gets a seat on President-elect Barack Obama's Transition Economic Advisory Board, which will meet Friday in Chicago. Talking Points Memo
- Controller Laura Chick is volunteering to serve in the Obama Administration and even suggests Treasurer would be a nice fit. Council President Eric Garcetti is helping recruit.
- Along with his other firsts, Obama is the first real urbanite to be elected president in a century, says Jerry Sullivan of the Garment and Citizen.
- Add it all up and with Gov. Schwarzenegger's proposed hikes on top of Measure R, Los Angeles County would have a sales tax of 10.25%. Now you know why they didn't announce it until after Election Day.
- New York Times covers the digital billboard transformation sweeping Los Angeles (and teeing off Angelenos.)
- The Ventura County Star layoffs that TJ Sullivan has been covering today at Native Intelligence hit 17 in the newsroom, including editorial cartoonist (and last graphic artist at the paper) Steve Greenberg.
- There was a line of people outside the Los Angeles Times again today to obtain copies of the Wednesday "It's Obama" edition. At least one editor quipped they should run a headline tomorrow every day reading "It's Still Obama."
- Longtime LAT columnist Al Martinez emailed his readers that he'll have more time to blog and lead a writing workshop since the Times "appears to be 'phasing out' my column." Last time they did that, there was quite a stink raised and the paper caved.
- The Dodgers have offered Manny Ramirez a two-year contract worth $45 million, the Times reports.
- Frances Anderton, host of KCRW’s "DnA: Design and Architecture," will moderate a panel on the effects of climate change on historic structures at the Getty on Saturday afternoon. Info.
More by Kevin Roderick:John Severson, 83, founder of Surfer magazine
LA Observed Notes: 60 Minutes, selling the Coliseum and more
Gil Cedillo, Nick Melvoin win LA runoffs*
LA Observed Notes: Baca goes down, LAX shuffle, media moves
LA Observed Notes: Big TV news, media moves, obits and more
Recent News stories on LA Observed:Suspect with guns did not threaten LA Pride parade, police now say
Monday news and notes: Politics, media and more
News and notes: Politics, media and place
Monday notes: Politics, media and place
News and notes for a Tuesday
End of the week desk clearing
News and notes: 2015 into 2016
LA Unified closes all schools due to threat