- Rep. Henry Waxman ousted John Dingell to become chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. AP, Reuters
- The Times editorializes against Eric Holder as Obama's Attorney General, saying he's too political but praising his role in the LAPD consent decree. No mention of the Vignali clemency.
- That proposed settlement over the LAPD's misconduct in the May Day Melee is more like $12.85 million, and does not yet include damages to the journalists who were roughed up, says the LAT's Joel Rubin. Also, DN story.
- Almost no part of Los Angeles wil be spared the new digital billboard blight, says an LA Weekly look at the conversion of the city's streetscape.
- Now that gas prices are way down, traffic congestion is way up. Oh and it's also fall. LAT
- Bad news for network TV news: the number of viewers shrank during the presidential campaign. LAT
- That fantasy of covering a mile of the Hollywood Freeway with a park? $950 million, says a feasibility report. LAT
- LAX officials expect a 14% drop in Thanksgiving air traffic, to go along with about a 20% drop in flights as airliners cut back. Daily Breeze
- Today's L.A. Times chases the LABJ story on the Beverly Park feud, and plays up the celebrity angle even more. LAT
- Paparazzi like Councilman Dennis Zine's proposal to ban commercial photography within 20 feet of schools and hospitals because it would eliminate the swarms that get in the way of the shot. And LAX officials say there is no problem with photographers at the airport. LAT, DN
- The City Council spent 4½ hours yesterday talking about the future of elephants at the L.A. Zoo then sent the controversy to committee. LAT
- Olivia Kelly is the new communications director for Councilwoman Janice Hahn.
- Jonny Olsen, a 28-year-old L.A. native and former semipro skater, has become the only white pop star in Laos. They call him MawlumMawkhaenFalang. LA Weekly
- Times reporter Mike Boehm will be on KPCC's "Airtalk" with Larry Mantle after 11 am to talk about the financial troubles at MOCA.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Morning Buzz stories on LA Observed:Morning Buzz: Friday 4.27.12
Morning Buzz: Thursday 4.26.12
Morning Buzz: Wednesday 4.25.12
Morning Buzz: Tuesday 4.24.12
Morning Buzz: Monday 4.23.12
Previous story: No deal yet on May Day Melee
Next story: In praise, or not, of Michelle Obama's butt
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed