- Ex-Hollywood private eye Anthony Pellicano was sentenced to 15 years in prison. LA Biz Observed
- Las Lomas project in the Newhall Pass appears to be dead. Ron Kaye
- The Daily News eliminated its Travel section and now the editor, Eric Noland, has left rather than go cityside as a reporter.
- Dr. Drew Live got the axe from Westwood One. LAist
- "Day to Day" aired a bunch of mail from listeners protesting bemoaning the show's cancellation by NPR. There's also a Facebook group devoted to saving the show, which is slated to end in March. DtD
- No more Arena Football: the league cancelled its 2009 season. Looks like a City News Service story on the Daily Breeze website.
- Pershing Square's outdoor ice rink had a holiday predecessor in 1952. Blogdowntown
- Strategist Chad Griffin is the only Angeleno on the Advocate's list of People of the Year.
- San Pedro Today magazine is launching under the former editor of the terminated San Pedro Magazine. Gary Scott
Afternoon news and notes
More by Kevin Roderick:Standing up to Harvey Weinstein
LA Times gets a top editor with nothing but questions
LA Observed Notes: Harvey Weinstein stripped bare
LA Observed Notes: Photos of the homeless, photos that found homes
Recent News stories on LA Observed:Suspect with guns did not threaten LA Pride parade, police now say
Monday news and notes: Politics, media and more
News and notes: Politics, media and place
Monday notes: Politics, media and place
News and notes for a Tuesday
End of the week desk clearing
News and notes: 2015 into 2016
LA Unified closes all schools due to threat