Judge has a familiar name, teachers threaten to sue, Baca endorses Brown and more.
Also: There are still some seats on the Oct. 16 Neon Cruise with LA Observed through the Museum of Neon Art in Downtown. Get the info
- Judge Mary Lou Villar, who released Bell's Robert Rizzo on $2 million bail with an ankle bracelet and no passport, is the sister of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
- Villaraigosa today is hailing a new agreement of how to do teachers layoffs in LAUSD, but the teachers union says it might sue to challenge the process. LAT, DN
- Sheriff Lee Baca endorsed Jerry Brown in the race for governor. LAT
- Questions are being raised about LAPD commissioner Debra Wong Yang acting as Jay Mariotti's lawyer when the sports columnist was arrested for domestic violence. LAT, LA Daily Journal (no link)
- A delivery truck driver at a Sherman Oaks Rite-Aid was kidnapped by two men who posed as police officers. DN
- The LA Weekly's Best of LA issue out today has 276 pages, 32 more than last year. The Informer
- The new season of Writers Bloc begins Oct. 20 with Arianna Huffington in conversation with Adam McKay. Info
- Bill Radke is leaving "Marketplace Morning report" to anchor “Seattle’s Morning News” on talk station KIRO-FM (97.3) up there. Radio-Info.com
- Celeste Fremon will guest on KPCC's "The Madeleine Brand Show" this morning to talk about her love of L.A. freeways. Witness L.A.