- With the annual homicide count in Los Angeles expected to fall below 300 for the first time since 1967, the L.A. Times takes a try at explaining why murder keeps falling.
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Monday said it has mailed out nomination ballots to the 5,755 of its members who will be voting for the Oscars.
- Only about a quarter of the $630+ million in stimulus grants received by the city of Los Angeles have been spent, a rate less than in New York, Chicago and in several other large California cities.
- Mayor Villaraigosa's calculated attack on UTLA hasn't hurt his labor backing, says the LAT.
- KCET promoted Mary Mazur to the newly created position of Chief Operating Officer, Bret Marcus to Senior Vice President and Chief Content Officer reporting to Mazur, Susan Reardon to Chief Development Officer and shifted more titles and responsibilities. Via release
- This Ruth Reichl NYT column from 1993 makes a point for anonymity by restaurant reviewers.
- The LAT obits blog explained why its Steve Landesberg obit said the actor was "believed to be 74" while other media outlets said he was 65.
- Times publisher Eddy Hartenstein ran his list of 2010 accomplishments in the print paper, in place of a Steve Lopez column.
- J. Paul Getty's diaries are starting to be read and analyzed.
- Handel's "Messiah" is performed by dozens of singers in a Los Feliz home every Boxing Day, back to 1998.
- Scott Timberg writes about “The Metropolis Case,” a first novel by Matthew Gallaway, in the New York Times.
- Hugh Hefner tweeted his engagement to 23-year-old Crystal Harris, one of the blonde Playmates he brought recently to the city historical society dinner.
- The NYT discovers the L.A. coroner's gift shop and its financial troubles.
- Englander Knabe & Allen announced that Eric W. Rose has become an equity partner in the downtown advocacy firm.
- R&B singer Teena Marie was found dead at her home in Pasadena on Sunday. She was 54. AP, LAT
More by Kevin Roderick:Standing up to Harvey Weinstein
LA Times gets a top editor with nothing but questions
LA Observed Notes: Harvey Weinstein stripped bare
LA Observed Notes: Photos of the homeless, photos that found homes
Recent News stories on LA Observed:Suspect with guns did not threaten LA Pride parade, police now say
Monday news and notes: Politics, media and more
News and notes: Politics, media and place
Monday notes: Politics, media and place
News and notes for a Tuesday
End of the week desk clearing
News and notes: 2015 into 2016
LA Unified closes all schools due to threat