- Former mayor Richard Riordan says he will close his two money-losing Pacific Palisades restaurants, the Oak Room and the Village Pantry, at the end of January.
- Councilman Dennis Zine said he will voluntarily recuse from voting on Tutor-Perini's appeal of an LAX project denial since he is dating the contractor's lobbyist.
- Gov. Schwarzenegger, in an exit interview with Variety's Ted Johnson, says he doesn't want to be head of the Motion Picture Assn. of America — not that anyone has asked. He also paid a visit to the L.A. Times editorial board.
- Schwarzenegger appointed former Los Angeles County Supervisor Yvonne Burke to the state Transportation Commission and Matthew Toledo, publisher of the L.A. Business Journal, to the state high-speed rail authority.
- The state is adding another $4 to the cost of a traffic ticket.
- Video-game director Brigitte Burdine was killed by a hit-and-run driver while walking home in Playa del Rey.
- Hollywood was named the L.A. neighborhood of the year by Curbed LA.
- The farmers market held each Thursday in the Van Nuys government center complex has shut down temporarily amid complaints from local merchants that the outside vendors have been taking away too much business.
- Small world of the South Bay: in working a murder story for the Daily Breeze, reporter Larry Altman spoke to to a woman he met when covering the slaying 17 years ago of Manhattan Beach police officer Martin Ganz.
- Maia Lazar, daughter of the late journalist Cathy Seipp, plans a book of her mother's writings and to relaunch her blog.
- The Banquette cafe and adjacent bookstore at 4th and Main in the Old Bank District will close to make way for a new restaurant by Josef Centeno.
- Revolution Books / Libros Revolución has reopened in Hollywood at 5726 Hollywood Boulevard, at Wilton.
- Angels Flight is rolling back fares to one cent all day on Dec. 31.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
Previous story: Joe Lumer, L.A. parking magnate was 62
Next story: Further thoughts on the loss of Borders Westwood
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed