- What the campaign donors ate last night at Tavern, aka what President Obama may have sampled a few bites of as he worked the room.
- Linday Lohan sentenced to 120 days in county jail for violting probation by walking away with that necklace, and community service at the Downtown Women's Center and the county morgue.
- Labor peace at L.A. County, much different than at City Hall.
- Two New York men paid a La Guardia cabbie $5,000 to drive them to Los Angeles.
- Earthquake warning banners in Beverly Hills catch the eye of New York Times bureau chief Adam Nagourney.
- Sacramento Kings now expected to stay up there next season, NBA says.
- The bacteria that cause Legionnaires’ disease have been found in the Playboy Mansion grotto.
- I. Cugini in Santa Monica to close in June after 20 years.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent News briefs stories on LA Observed:Saturday notes
Afternoon news and notes (mostly media)
Friday desk clearing
Sunday news shorts
Afternoon notes *
Previous story: SCI-Arc buys its building finally
Next story: Hazel Dickens, soul singer of the South was 75
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed