- Lindsay Lohan was again today sentenced to 30 days in county jail for probation violations and again is expected to serve only briefly.
- Guy Crowder, a photographer for the Los Angeles Sentinel, the Wave and other black publications, died at age 72 after suffering a stroke. "South Los Angeles’ premiere photographer," says Betty Pleasant in the Wave.
- John Cage as a quintessential Angeleno, from the Los Angeles Review of Books: Born in downtown L.A. , valedictorian at Los Angeles High School, and among his first performed works was the score for a water ballet performed by the Synchronized Swimming club at UCLA.
- David Graham-Caso, formerly the deputy press secretary for the Sierra Club, joins the staff of Councilman Richard Alarcon as press deputy. Becca Doten, as we noted before, is now chief of staff.
- Edward Headington, who has done press for a number of Democrats and local entities, declares as a candidate in the Valley's 38th assembly district.
- Sean Durkin talks about his debut feature as a director, "Martha Marcy May Marlene," at 2:30 p.m. on "The Treatment" on KCRW.
- Scarlett Johansson says in the November Vanity Fair that those nude photos of her at home that were purloined from her phone were intended for then-husband Ryan Reynolds.
- Arianna Huffington is one of Glamour magazine's "women of the year."
- Pomona's most prominent bloggers, Meg Worley and Kevin Lahey, have moved to the Bay Area.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Media stories on LA Observed:LA Weekly's executive editor in '92 details riot coverage
Los Angeles more worldly since '92, LA Times 'more insular'
More recommended media coverage of the riots
Shelby Coffey, LA Times editor then, on the night the riots erupted
When LA Weekly (did) cover the riots *
Previous story: Reaction to McCourt's surrender pouring in
Next story: Red flag conditions defined *
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
On the Politics Page
Go to Politics
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed