- The man who shot at passing motorists in the intersection of Sunset and Vine on Friday was 26-year-old Tyler Brehm, formerly of Carlisle, PA. His ex-girlfriend told Channel 5 that he was stressed leading up to and after their recent breakup and had apparently begun taking some kind of pharmaceutical drug.
- John Atterberry, the music industry executive shot in the face and upper body as he drove through Hollywood, remains in critical condition at Cedars-Sinai. He is a former VP of Death Row Records who founded Infusion Music Group.
- The likely award-winning photograph of Brehm lying wounded while two LAPD officers close in was shot by local photojournalist Gregory Bojorquez. His contributor page at Slake says "Gregory Bojorquez photographs the everyday life-and-death grind in the neighborhoods of L.A.’s East Side. Work from his 'Eastsiders' project has been published in several L.A.-based magazines as well as in Al Gore’s Spirit of Family and has been used on the covers of Luis Rodriguez’s The Republic of East L.A. and Hearts and Hands. Gregory covers subject matter touching on music, subcultures, and women."
- Matt Szabo, the deputy chief of staff to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, lives near the intersection and posted on Facebook:
Incredible photo of the Los Angeles Police Department taking the ultimate measure to stop a shooter who had opened fire on motorists and pedestrians in Hollywood today. I live above this intersection. I heard the shots, the screeching tires of vehicles fired upon and the screams of pedestrians running for cover. At first I thought it was an old truck backfiring, but knew there was a problem when I heard a woman cry out "Oh my God! What are you doing!?" LAPD was on the scene literally within seconds. Without question, the officers in this photo saved innocent lives today.
- Chris Godley, a photo editor for the Hollywood Reporter, was driving by when he was grazed in the leg by a bullet. He's doing OK, according to reports.
More by Kevin Roderick:
Gustavo Arellano, many others join LA Times staff
Power out Monday across Malibu
Put Jamal Khashoggi Square outside the Saudi consulate on Sawtelle
Here's who the LA Times has newly hired*
LA Observed Notes: Clippers hire big-time writer, unfunny Emmys, editor memo at the Times and more
Recent Hollywood area stories on LA Observed:
Hollywood and Vine
'Endless Summer' poolside
Hanging out with Mya Taylor of 'Tangerine'
Target eyesore in Hollywood: blame Garcetti