- The latest round of Los Angeles Times layoffs and other cuts began with at least one home phone call tonight. Shari Roan, a health writer for the Times for 22 years, got the word that she's on the list. She was a mainstay of the Health section that was recently eliminated.
- Laurie Ochoa, the former editor of the LA Weekly and a founder of Slake, is stepping in to an editor role at The Hollywood Reporter while editorial director Janice Min is out on maternity leave. The baby is apparently due any day now.
- Five urgent Vin Scully secession plans from Joe Mathews at Zocalo.
- Slate's Culture Gabfest podcast team is in town to get together at a sold-out event at the Petersen Automotive Museum on Tuesday night, with Elizabeth Banks of "The Hunger Games."
- KCET's Departures project is moving on to Venice and has posted a guide to the community.
- Author and journalist Raymond Bonner was in town over the weekend for a party to celebrate his new book, "Anatomy of Injustice: a Murder Case Gone Wrong." [Item edited.]
- CNN’s chief medical correspondent Sanjay Gupta will be on KPCC's "Airtalk" to talk about his new book on surgeons at 11:30 Tuesday morning.
- Anthony Salcito, vice president of education for Microsoft, will moderate the first in a new series of public forums with the 2013 candidates for mayor called "Talking About Los Angeles.” Eric Garcetti is up first on March 29 at Trade-Tech.
- Author Daniel Hernandez lives and works in Mexico City but manages to cover the new popularity of ska in Southern California.
- The Ansel Adams photo exhibit on Spring Street has been extended to April 21.
- A user emails that the new LA Times.com firewall counts visits to maps and hunts for advertising rates against the 15 "articles" that are free each month.
- Just to be clear, Clipper Darrell was back in his customary seat for the Clippers' just-concluded six-game home stand. Differences patched, says ESPN LA.
More by Kevin Roderick:Ralph Lawler of the Clippers and the age of Aquarius
Riding the Expo Line to USC 'just magical'
Last bastion of free parking? Loyola Marymount to charge students
Matt Kemp, Dodgers and Kings start big weekend the right way
LA Times writers revisit their '92 riots observations
Recent Media stories on LA Observed:LA Weekly's executive editor in '92 details riot coverage
Los Angeles more worldly since '92, LA Times 'more insular'
More recommended media coverage of the riots
Shelby Coffey, LA Times editor then, on the night the riots erupted
When LA Weekly (did) cover the riots *
Previous story: Kevin and Mark on 'Deadline LA' today
Next story: Westside subway EIS/EIR goes with 7 new stations
New at LA Observed
Follow us on Twitter
On the Media Page
Go to Media
LA Biz Observed
Go to LA Biz Observed
Sign up for daily email from LA Observed