The Lakers led for a good bit of Saturday night's NBA playoff game at Staples Center. But Oklahoma City made a key steal in the last minute, Kevin Durant sank a three-pointer, and Kobe Bryant couldn't respond. The final score was 103-100. The Lakers and Thunder play next in OKC and LA could be eliminated there on Monday night.
The Clippers, meanwhile, had the midday shift at Staples Center. They lost 96-86 to the San Antonio Spurs and could be swept out of the playoffs Sunday night, back at Staples. The Clippers led 33-11 after one quarter, but they were outscored by 30 in the other quarters.
Up first on Sunday, the Los Angeles Kings go for a sweep of the Phoenix Coyotes and a spot in the NHL's Stanley Cup finals. This is the game you may have heard about posing a logistical and traffic challenge downtown. The NHL scheduled the game to start at noon, the same time as riders in the 2012 Amgen Tour of California are expected to start hitting LA Live. The arena is opening at 9 a.m. for Kings fans (with free coffee and donuts) and is advising fans who drive to park as far away as USC. A robocall tonight reiterated the warning that traffic will be intense, streets will be closed for the bike race and some Staples Center parking lots will be closed. Taking Metro to the game was strongly advised.
Morning street closures in Downtown on Sunday:
- Figueroa Street from Pico Blvd. to Olympic Blvd
- Chick Hearn Court from Flower Street to Georgia Street
- Pico Blvd. from Flower Street to Figueroa Street
- Flower Street from Pico Blvd. to 11th Street
- Olympic Blvd. from Figueroa Street to Olive Street
- Olive Street, North of Olympic Blvd.
- 11th Street from Flower Street to Hill Street
- Hill Street, North of 11th Street
Here's the advisory from Staples Center:
Please note, the game is scheduled to start at noon.
****HIGH Fan Traffic Expected****
****at STAPLES Center ****
Full information can be found at lakings.com/may20.
The final stage of the 2012 Amgen Tour of California will conclude at L.A.LIVE on Sunday. The Los Angeles Convention Center will also be hosting groups throughout the day, and the LA Clippers will be playing at STAPLES Center that evening. With this in mind, the following changes and events will be taking place:
PARKING LOT ACCESS and TRAFFIC ADVISORY
Fans with Parking Passes: Lot 8 will NOT be accessible on Sunday. Fans with pre-purchased Lot 8 passes will be granted entry into Lot 12, 10, C, and West. Please bring your Lot 8 pass with you and show at the entry point of the aforementioned parking Lot of your choice.
Fans without Parking Passes: We encourage fans to purchase pre-paid parking if you do not have parking passes already. To purchase pre-paid parking, click here.
Many streets will be closed on Sunday. To view the area map for Sunday, click here.
LA Coliseum Parking: Parking will be available at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Lots 5 & 6 ($10/car) located off of Hoover Street, where the LA Kings will provide free shuttles that will run from 8:30 AM until one hour after the hockey game’s conclusion.
GO METRO: We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE fans to take public transportation and also car-pool. www.metro.net
Metro Blue Line: runs north beginning in Long Beach and the Pico stop is only 1 block from STAPLES Center.
Metro Red Line: begins in North Hollywood and runs through Westlake, ending in downtown LA’s Union Station.
Metro Expo Line: begins in Culver City and runs to Pico Stop.
Metro Gold Line: begins in Pasadena and runs south to downtown LA’s Union Station.
STAPLES Center DOORS OPEN at 9AM: Due to the expected difficulties reaching STAPLES Center Sunday, we suggest fans arrive early and we have planned the following activities:
1) IAN LAPIERRIERE and MARTY McSORLEY SIGNINGS
Kings fan favorites Ian “Lappy” Lapierriere and Marty McSorley will be conducting an autograph session inside STAPLES Center, from 9:30 - 10:30 first come, first served.
2) Fan fest inside STAPLES Center with feature Bailey, the Ice Crew, and Panasonic 4HD jumbotron showings of historic Kings games and 2012 Kings playoff highlights. PLUS, face painting, airbrush tattoos, balloon artists near Bailey's Fun Zone, and EA Sports NHL Challenges for a chance to win a copy of NHL 12.
3) Complimentary coffee and donuts will also be provided to fans who arrive early, limit 1 per person outside sections 102 & 113. Camacho's concession stand will also have breakfast burritos available for purchase.
4) TEAM LA Special: Free Stanley Cup Puck with ANY purchase, from 9:00 - 10:30am.
STAY TUNED THROUGHOUT THE WEEKEND
Please check LAKings.com for updated Game 4 information as it is released.