- Los Angeles Magazine on Gore Vidal's LA house story and why he moved back from Italy.
- At home with the developers of the Toy Factory Lofts and Biscuit Company Lofts as they try to green the Arts District.
- Editor of the LA Times tweets what his high-profile food writer will be up to: @DavanMaharaj The next assignment for @thejgold: find the best Thai food in America. Consensus: Lotus no Jitlada.
- Jim Romenesko has been getting hate email from non-comprehenders over a post he put up about a reporter's reaction to the Chick-fil-A protests.
- The city's final tab for the Occupy LA occupation: $4.3 million, including $2.5 million in police costs for the raid that broke up the encampment, the CAO said in a report.
- Assemblyman Bob Blumenfield has filed the papers to raise money and run for the City Council from the Valley's 3rd district, where Dennis Zine is now.
- City Engineer Gary Lee Moore was appointed by Mayor Villaraigoa to be interim general manager of the city’s Information Technology Agency.
- How to execute a perfect Olympic dive, by a USC professor.
- Surprise stat: 67 pedestrians and 12 bicyclists were killed by drivers in New York City in just the first half of 2012.
- The Dodgers acquired starting pitcher Joe Blanton from the Phillies.
Friday desk clearing
More by Kevin Roderick:Standing up to Harvey Weinstein
LA Times gets a top editor with nothing but questions
LA Observed Notes: Harvey Weinstein stripped bare
LA Observed Notes: Photos of the homeless, photos that found homes
Recent News stories on LA Observed:Suspect with guns did not threaten LA Pride parade, police now say
Monday news and notes: Politics, media and more
News and notes: Politics, media and place
Monday notes: Politics, media and place
News and notes for a Tuesday
End of the week desk clearing
News and notes: 2015 into 2016
LA Unified closes all schools due to threat
Previous story: Biden, Michelle Obama add LA fundraisers