The Atlantic Cities site is hiring a web writer but doesn't really care if the candidate knows which celebrity is hot this week, or how many followers you have on Twitter, or which operating system you favor, or that you know how to edit video or write code. For them it's about the quality of the content, the most precious commodity in the competition for readers' brains.
From Journalism Jobs:
The Atlantic Cities, part of The Atlantic’s digital family, seeks a staff writer to join its growing team. TheAtlanticCities.com publishes a broad range of original content dedicated to global cities and neighborhoods, including issues and stories related to transportation, architecture, urban planning, infrastructure, housing, the economy, and more.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- A minimum of two years of experience in online journalism.
- Ability to develop and self-assign original story ideas.
- A proven eye for creative entry points into major news stories.
- Ability to write quickly and accurately while maintaining a lively and engaging voice.
- Familiarity with SEO best practices.
- Atlantic Media recruits for two personal attributes in its candidates. The first is force of intellect – reflected in discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance. The second is a personal spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
- Adaptable and willing to approach tasks with velocity and a high metabolism.
The job is in Washington, by the way.
Today at Atlantic Cities: A new USC study attributes eight percent of Los Angeles' 300,000 cases of childhood asthma to freeway proximity.