The space shuttle Endeavour is scheduled to roll out of the gate at LAX onto city streets on Friday morning about 2 a.m. The first legs of the trip are planned to be short, with long stops to allow utility lines and traffic lights to be moved out of the way just before the shuttle transport passes. The Endeavour isn't expected to roll over the 405 freeway on Manchester, at the corner where Randy's Donuts in located, until Friday night about 9 p.m., for instance.
On Saturday morning it will stop in the parking lot at the Forum at Manchester and Prairie in Inglewood for a public viewing. Around noon it is to stop again at Crenshaw and Martin Luther King for a short community performance. Arrival at the California Science Center in Exposition Park is due shortly after dark on Saturday. Officials suggest the best places to see the shuttle movement are at the stopping spots or in Expo Park.
Route info from the California Science Center. Any times provided are approximate and subject to change.
Friday, October 12
- LAX United/Continental Hangar to Northside access road security gate
- Exit security gate and travel east on Northside Parkway to Lincoln Boulevard
- Cross Lincoln Boulevard onto McConnell Avenue
- Turn right onto Westchester Parkway to La Tijera Boulevard
- Turn left onto La Tijera Boulevard
- Drollinger Parking Lot
- Endeavour will be parked near the intersection of La Tijera Ave. and Sepulveda Eastway from approximately 4 a.m. to 2 p.m., affording an opportunity for informal viewing. This is not an official viewing location and parking will not be available.
- Continue on La Tijera to Manchester Avenue
- Turn right onto Manchester Avenue
Saturday, October 13
- Continue on Manchester Avenue to Crenshaw Drive
- Viewing Location: Mission 26 Launch at The Forum
- Endeavour will stop at the Forum in Inglewood for a morning celebration in the arena’s parking lot, between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Venue organizers estimate that 10,000 to 14,000 spectators can be accommodated. Free public parking is available at nearby Hollywood Park Race Track starting at 4 a.m. No overnight camping is permitted (3900 West Manchester Boulevard, Inglewood CA 90301).
- Turn left onto Crenshaw Drive to Crenshaw Boulevard
- Continue on Crenshaw Boulevard to Martin Luther King Boulevard
- Viewing Location: Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza (Crenshaw and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvds.)
- Endeavour is expected to arrive at the intersection of Crenshaw and MLK between 1p.m. and 2 p.m. for a brief program and celebratory performance produced by actor-choreographer Debbie Allen. There is a dedicated area for the public to stand and view the stage, north of the intersection of Crenshaw Blvd. and MLK. Space is limited so come early.
- Turn right on King to Bill Robertson Lane
- Turn left on Bill Robertson Lane into Exposition Park
- Viewing Location: Exposition Park
- Endeavour is expected to enter Exposition Park on Bill Robertson Lane between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. to reach its final destination, the California Science Center’s Samuel Oschin Pavilion, before midnight. Parking lots between Bill Robertson Lane and Vermont Ave. will provide space for spectators to gather. The lots for viewing will open at 5:30 p.m. and can only be accessed from Vermont Ave. at 39th Street. Mass transit is recommended and available via the Expo Rail and bus line running along Exposition Blvd. Limited parking will be available at the California Science Center’s parking structure (enter at 39th and Figueroa Streets) for $15.
Major street impacts: The LAPD advises that traffic on these streets will be affected.
Friday October 12, 2012
- Lincoln Boulevard between Sepulveda Boulevard and Manchester Avenue
- Westchester Parkway between Sepulveda Boulevard and Airport Boulevard
- La Tijera between Sepulveda Boulevard Manchester Avenue
- Manchester Avenue between La Tijera Boulevard and Crenshaw Drive (City of Inglewood)
Saturday October 13, 2012
- Manchester Boulevard between (Inglewood Forum) and Crenshaw Drive
- Crenshaw Drive between Manchester Boulevard and Crenshaw Boulevard
- Crenshaw Boulevard between Manchester Boulevard and Martin Luther King Boulevard
- Martin Luther King Boulevard Between Crenshaw Boulevard Figueroa Avenue
Photos of Randy's Donuts and the Forum: LA Observed