It was a busy day out there.
- The publisher of the LA Weekly announced eight layoffs in a hastily called meeting Friday afternoon. One editorial employees, plus others in IT, business and advertising, according to a staff source.
- Longtime MarketWatch media writer Jon Friedman was laid off, effective March 1, after 13 years. "I’m looking for a job and freelance work," he tweets. "Pls get in touch.”
- FM station 100.3 ("The Sound") is swapping in Uncle Joe Benson in the mornings in place of Larry Morgan and Sheri Donovan. Benson comes from KLOS. OC Register
- Thom Hartmann is taking over morning drive time on KPFK (90.7 FM) starting Feb. 4 while "Uprising" host Sonali Kolhatkar is on parental leave
- "Young Turks," the documentary on the early downtown art scene, is featured on Saturday's "Off-Ramp" and premieres at the Downtown Independent Feb. 8 - Feb. 14.
- The Los Angeles Press Club is now accepting entries for the Southern California Journalism Awards, through March 28.
- The "fiction issue" of the Journal of Legal Education at Southwestern Law School is now out.