This week's party circuit is all about the exchange of information. The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books rolls into town on April 24 and 25th at UCLA (Carolyn Kellogg of the paper's books blog, Jacket Copy, has posted some great pre-festival interviews with authors attending this year's event). There will be lots of high profile authors and journalists in town, popping into the offices of film agents, book readings and cocktail parties. The Los Angeles Times Book Prizes ceremony will be on Friday, April 23rd at 8 PM in the Los Angeles Times building, Downtown.
After the book festival, attendees can continue to enjoy the literary festival lifestyle by seeing the film, "The Eclipse," which is now in limited release and available on VOD. An elegantly elegiac ghost story directed by Irish playwright, Conor McPherson, the film involves participants attending a book festival in Ireland that slyly winks at the literary set in the same way David Lodge teased academia in his book, Small World: An Academic Romance.
Last night, April 21, 2010
- ASCAP-American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers honored Patti Smith at its 27th Annual Pop Music Awards. Renaissance Hollywood Hotel.
- PS Arts held its Los Angeles Antique Show Opening Night party at Barker Hangar in Santa Monica.
- Henry Cisneros emceed Century Housing's Third Annual Awards Dinner, which honored Robert M. Hertzberg, Jan Perry and William C. Waggoner, at the Skirball Cultural Center.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
- 100th Birthday Celebration for journalist and USC professor, Norman Corwin, at USC Annenberg School of Communications. 3:30 PM.
- American Jewish Committee holds its 65th Annual Meeting at a luncheon honoring Ruth Block. Skirball Cultural Center.
- Opening Night Gala and World Premiere of TCM Classic Film Festival, featuring a restored copy of "A Star Is Born," at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. 6:00 PM. Festival continues through April 25.
Friday, April 23, 2010
- "Sutton Foster Fever" fundraiser for Center Theatre Group at a private home in Los Angeles. 6:30 PM.
- The Mystery Bookstore's Pre-LA Times Books Fest Party in Westwood. Co-hosted with the Southern California Mystery Writers Association. 5 PM.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
- Junior League of Pasadena holds its "Chocolate Chip Ball" at a private club in Pasadena.
- Los Angeles Times Los Angeles holds its Festival of Books Opening Day. 10:00 AM. Panels, book signings, children's activities, live entertainment. (Continues through April 25.). UCLA.
- Forgiving For Living honors Karen Bass, Yvette Chappell Ingram, Willis Edwards, Berlinda Fontenot-Jamerson, Mordena Moore, Teresa Samaniego at its 2010 Plus Awards brunch, starting at 11:00 AM at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
- Yaw O. Adutwum, Kimberly Anyadike, Steven M. Cobin, Mr. Ralph Gilmer, Alfredo D. Noble, Lauren Segal-Avenna, C. Okafor Udeze will be honored at the 2010 African Goodwill Awards, presented by African Focus, Inc at the Culver City Veteran's Memorial Building at 5 PM.
- Homeboy Industries honors Sheriff Lee Baca, Joe Garcia and Grover McKean at its "Lo Maximo Awards" at 5:30 PM at Union Station.
- Gale Bensussen, Jane Bensussen, Janet Evans, Taylor Hackford, Ming Hsieh, Dr. Roger Rossier and Melissa Ward will be honored at USC's 77th Annual Alumni Awards Gala. 6:00 PM. Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites.
- Jan Goodman & Jerry Manpearl host the 20th Anniversary Benefit Reception for The Rosenberg Fund for Children in Santa Monica from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM.
- Rowan Wood: For The Benefit of Humanity show opens at Steve Turner Contemporary Gallery, 6 PM.
Sunday, April 25, 2010
- The Mar Vista Green Gardens Showcase runs on Sunday, April 25 from 2 PM to 6 PM:
- Altadena Historical Society hosts a rare tour of Colonel G. G. Green carriage house. 10 AM to 5 PM.
- 5th Annual Dead Poets Slam. Smart Gals Speakeasy Presents: "U.S. vs. THEM: The Axis of Poetry" at Mt Hollywood Underground in Los Feliz. 7 PM. $15.
Monday, April 26, 2010
- Milken Institute holds its Global Conference 2010 Opening Day (Continues through April 28.). Speakers include T. Boone Pickens, Vincente Fox, Dr. Susan Love, Larry Mizel, William Perry, Brent Snowcroft and Ted Turner. Beverly Hilton Hotel.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
- Jackie Collins, Joanna Poitier and Amber Valletta host the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Los Angeles and the Inland Empire's "Accessories for Success Luncheon and Fashion Show," featuring Shirley MacLaine and Norm Crosby as speakers at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 10:30 AM.
- Deanne Stillman, author and journalist, converses with Helen Benedict about her book The Lonely Soldier: The Private War of Women Serving in Iraq at ALOUD at Central Library. 7:00 PM.