Social events are all about family this week. Mother's Day falls on Sunday, May 9th. The Los Angeles Zoo celebrates in style with a "From Here to Maternity" fundraising reception followed by a special presentation from interpretive naturalist and L.A. Zoo Docent Joleen Lutz and guided tours highlighting the Zoo's favorite animal moms and their offspring. Mike Bender signs his new book of ridiculous family portraits, Awkward Family Photos,at Barnes and Noble in the Grove on Thursday at 7 PM. Twitter sensation Justin Halpern rolls into Pasadena to read Sh#t My Dad Says at Vromans at noon on Tuesday, May 11th.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
- Laura Chick is the featured speaker at the Economic Forecast Conference hosted by the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce at Los Angeles Airport Marriott. Panels started at 7:30 AM.
- Saint John's Health Center hosts its "Think Pink" luncheon at the Bel Air Bay Club, Pacific Palisades.
- Trendspotter Yvan Rodic signs copies of his book, Face Hunter, at Leadapron, 8454 Melrose Place, from 6PM to 8PM
- Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are honorees of the Simon Wiesenthal Center's National Tribute Dinner at the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel. 6:00 PM. Jay Leno is the emcee...
- Leigh Rubin discusses his book The Wild and Twisted World of Rubes: A Rubes Cartoon Collection at the Orange County Register,625 N. Grand Ave. in Santa Ana at 6:30 PM
- Kevin Leonard gives a history lecture on "Mad Dogs and Angry People:Race and Rabies in Cold War Los Angeles" at the Huntington Library at noon. Seaver Classroom #3, Munger Research Center, Huntington Library, San Marino.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
- Fran Drescher's Cancer Schmancer charity hosts a luncheon, featuring "Kitty Kelley & Kathy Griffin in Conversation about Oprah" at the Regency Club. Noon.
- Golda Meir Club Luncheon hosted by State of Israel Bonds/Development Corp. of Israel at the Four Seasons Hotel.
- RETHINKING THE CITY lecture series of discussions on mobility, transportation, and urban planning starts today with a presentation by Jennifer Siegal at the Goethe-Institut Los Angeles. 7:00 PM. RSVP 323 525 3388
- Mike Bender signs his new book Awkward Family Photos at Barnes & Noble, 189 Grove Drive, Los Angeles, CA, 90036. 7:00 PM
- George Lopez hosts the Orange Ball to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Lupus LA at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Former Eagle Glenn Fey and his wife are amongst the honorees. 6:30 PM.
Friday, May 7, 2010
- Journalist Meghan Daum reads her latest book, Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived in That House, at Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), 250 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, California, United States 90012 7:30 PM
- Western Publishing Association holds the 2010 Maggie Awards at the Sheraton Gateway LAX.
- La Cienega Design Quarter launches its Legends of Hollywood celebration with a 2-day event honoring design on the silver screen, television, and the creative talents that have made Hollywood the capital of the entertainment industry.
- Nicole LaPorte, "The Daily Beast" staffer and a former "Variety" scribe, discusses her book, The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies And A Company Called Dreamworks at Book Soup in West Hollywood. 8 PM (wonder if she'll make the Simon Wiesenthal Center's National Tribute Dinner on Wednesday...since Katenzenberg will be a chair of the event)
- Nancy Davis Foundation for Multiple Sclerosis holds its 17th Annual Race to Erase MS at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, featuring Tommy Hilfiger fashion show and live performances by Avril Lavigne and Heart . 6:30 PM.
Saturday, May 8, 2010
- The Greater LA Zoo Association hosts the "From Here to Maternity" reception, saluting motherhood in the animal kingdom starts at 10:30 AM at the Los Angeles Zoo.
- Fiesta Of The Spanish Horse Charity Spectacular, benefiting local cancer charities, at the Los Angeles Equestrian Center 3:00 PM.
- Donna L. Emerson reads her book, Body Rhymes, at the Ruskin Art Club, 800 S. Plymouth Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90005. 7:00 PM
- Friends of Cabrillo Marine Aquarium Grand Grunion Gala at the Carbillo Marine Aquarium. 6:00 PM.
- Todd Harra, author of Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt, reads at Barnes & Noble Booksellers - Carson, 7651 Carson Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90822, at 2:00 PM
- Evgenia Citkowitz, author of Ether: Seven Stories and a Novella, reads at Book Soup, 8818 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA, 90069. 5:00 PM
- Film editor Barbara Pokras discusses Feeding Mrs. Moskowitz and The Caregiver: Two Stories at Village Books, 1049 Swarthmore Avenue, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272 at 4:00 PM
- The Pasadena Art Alliance hosts its 15th Biennial Art Auction, Raving Art Women, at Edison Electric Building at the Brewery Art Colony. 7 PM. Contact email@example.com for tickets.
- Genlux Magazine and BritWeek present the 2010 Genlux BritWeek Designer of the Year Award and Fashion Show, honoring British designer Matthew Williamson, at Smashbox Studios from 7 PM to 10 PM.
Sunday, May 9, 2010
- Manny Pacheco reads Forgotten Hollywood at Borders, Long Beach
- Candace Bushnell reads and signs The Carrie Diaries at Barnes & Noble in the Grove, 189 Grove Drive, Los Angeles, CA, 90036. 4:00 PM
- Monday, May 10, 2010
- Midnight Mission honors Anthony Hopkins at its 2010 Golden Heart Awards. 6:00 PM at Beverly Hilton Hotel. Dinner, silent auction and performance by Larry Miller. MC, Ed Begley, Jr.
- "EthnoLA: Re-Visioning Community and Culture," featuring six short films by alums of UCLA's Center for EthnoCommunications, screens with a reception at the Billy Wilder Theater of the Hammer Museum. 7 PM.
- Isabel Allende discusses her latest book at Los Angeles Times at noon.
- Ana Maria Spagna, author of Test Ride on the Sunnyland Bus: A Daughter's Civil Rights Journey, reads at Eso Won Books,4331 Degnan Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 90008. 7:00 PM
- Charlaine Harris will be at Barnes & Noble at The Grove, 189 Grove Drive, 7:00 PM
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
- Laura Bush discusses her book, Spoken from the Heart, Vroman's Bookstore, 695 E. Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91109 at 1:00 PM
- Brady Udall reads his book, The Lonely Polygamist: A Novel, at Book Soup, 8818 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA, 90069 at 7:00 PM
- Paul Provenza & Dan Dion, authors of Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians, make an appearance at Diesel, A Bookstore, Brentwood at 7:00 PM
- Ben Wildavsky discusses his book, The Great Brain Race: How Global Universities Are Reshaping the World, at Zocalo @ NPR West Studios. 7 :30 PM.
- Josh Kun and President of MySpace Music Courtney Holt present Jews on Vinyl, a one-of-a-kind slideshow of LP covers, plus rare musical clips accompanying the Skirball exhibit of cover art for kitschy Jewish records at the Skirball Cultural Center. 6:00-8:00 PM.
- Justin Halpern discusses his book Sh*t My Dad Says at Vroman's Bookstore in Pasadena at noon.