Summer fund raising intensifies with upcoming benefits focusing on the welfare of the environment, public libraries, senior citizens, abused children, civil liberties, epilepsy and stray cats...
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
- Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Los Angeles honors Amy Pascal, Sony Pictures Co-chair, at its Care and Cure for Children Benefit Dinner at Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons. Starts at 6:00 PM.
- Aimee Bender reads The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake at Book Soup at 7 PM
- Japan America Society hosts its 101st Anniversary Dinner and Gala Celebration at Club Nokia. Los Angeles. 6:00 PM.
- Antwone Fisher reads A Boy Should Know How to Tie a Tie at Vroman's Pasadena at 7 PM
Thursday, June 10, 2010
- Lina Lecaro, LA Weekly's Night Ranger correspondent, celebrates the publication of her new book, LA's Best Dive Bars: Drinking and Diving in the City of Angels, at La Luz de Jesus Gallery in East Hollywood. 6- 9 PM
- Cristina Garcia reads The Lesser Tragedy of Death at Skylight Books at 7:30 PM
- ACLU of Southern California honors local law firms, Irell & Manella LLP, Paul Hastings Janofsky Walker LLP, Seyfarth Shaw LLP, Sidley Austin LLP, at its 16th Annual Law Luncheon at the Wilshire Grand Hotel & Centre. 11:30 AM.
- ALOUD @ Central Library presents Timur and the Dime Museum: Operatic Vaudeville w/ Bohemian Attitude 7-9PM $7
- June 10th is the last day for discounted tickets to Design East of La Brea fundraiser, City Listening II: Stories about L.A., on June 26, 2010. The event featuring stories read by LA Observed.com contributor, Jenny Price, Marissa Gluck, et al.
- Catch a sneak preview of LACMA's Resnick Pavilion today during an all day "flash visit"
- Hedge Funds Care hosts a "Cocktails in Wonderland Benefit" in West Hollywood. 5:00 PM
- American Film Institute hosts its 38th Life Achievement Award Tribute to Mike Nichols at Sony Pictures Studios.
- John Slattery, Dana Delany, Amber Tamblyn, Stephen Gaghan host the Library Foundation of Los Angeles's Young Literati's Third Annual Toast. 7:00 PM at the Santa Monica Museum of Art.
- Alternative Living for The Aging holds its first "Janet L. Witkin Award Dinner" at the Beverly Hills Hotel. 6:00 PM.
Friday, June 11, 2010
- Friday Wine Tasting evenings start again this summer in Barnsdall Art Park, benefiting art classes run by the Barnsdall Art Park Foundation. Fun starts at 5:30 PM
- LA Pride 2010: 40th Anniversary Opening Day. Festival and parade (continues through June 13.). West Hollywood
- Stray Cat Alliance launches its "Snip or Die" campaign with an art exhibition, live entertainment, light fare, cocktails and silent auction at the G2 Gallery. Venice. 7:00 PM
- According to Metblogs LA, The Vader Project runs from June 11 to June 20 at 6812 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles CA 90036. Opening party starts on Friday at 6 PM.
Saturday, June 12, 2010
- Linda Weldon discusses Road Racing Drivers of the 60's and 70's at Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank. 10 AM.
- City of Hope hosts its Sportsmen's Club Luncheon and Fashion Show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, starting at 11:00 AM.
- Sidney Kirkpatrick discusses Hitler's Holy Relics at Vroman's Pasadena. 5 PM
- James Cameron, Suzy Amis Cameron and Matt Peterson and US Environmental Protection Agency honored at Global Green USA's 14th Annual Millennium Awards at the Fairmont Miramar Hotel. 6:00 PM
- Naomi Hirahara reads Blood Hina at the Author Recognition Lunch at Little Tokyo Branch Library, 12:30 PM, held in conjunction with Kinokuniya Bookstore
- Mexican American Bar Association honors Arthur L. Alarcon, Stephen R. English and Molly Mungers at its 2010 Annual Scholarship and Awards Gala at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. 6:30 PM
- Ray Leonard hosts the Annual Vintage Hollywood wine tasting for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, Los Angeles Chapter in Pacific Palisades.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
- Club Culinaire of French Cuisine hosts its 30th Annual Picnic des Chefs in Elysian Park. 11:30 AM
- Opening Day for the Financial Times Business of Luxury Summit at the Beverly Hills Hotel. (continues through June 15). Speakers include: Jean-Christophe Bedos, Dov Charney, Diane von Furstenberg, Robert A. Iger, Leonard A. Lauder, Bryan Lourd, Tamara Mellon, Sebastian Suhl
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation hosts its 21st Annual "A Time for Heroes Celebrity Picnic" at Wadsworth Theater on the Veteran Administration Lawn. 12:00 PM
- Simon Wood reads Terminated @ Mysterious Galaxy Book Store. 2 PM
- Tommy Tune hosts the 14th Annual TONY Awards Party for the Actors Fund. Annette Bening will be on hand to honor Brian Stokes Mitchell at the Skirball Cultural Center . 3:30 Start time.
- Lisa Brackmann reads Rock Paper Tiger 4 PM @ Book Soup
Monday, June 14, 2010
- Stephen Bishop, L. Russell Brown, Mac Davis, Charles Fox, Dean Pitchford, Neil Sedaka and Tony Orlando perform at the Fulfillment Fund 's The Songs of Our Lives, Volume III Benefit Concert. Paul Reiser hosts at the Wadsworth Theater on the Veteran Administration Lawn. 7:30 PM
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
- Prevention Magazine honors Joely Fisher and Marcia Gay Harden at its "Hollywood Heroes" event at the Montage Beverly Hills. 7:00 PM.
- Janelle Brown reads her latest novel This is Where We Live at Skylight Books. 7:30 PM.
- Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) Opening Day Los Angeles Convention Center (continues through June 17).
- Mary McNamara reads The Starlet: A Novel at Book Soup 7 PM
- Craig Johnson reads Junkyard Dog at Mystery Bookstore. 7 PM
- Brando Skyhorse reads Madonnas of Echo Park at Vroman's 7 PM
- Cat Cora cooks up Cat Cora's Classics with a Twist @ Diesel, A Bookstore/Brentwood. 7 PM.